Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He's sick again

Default He's sick again

So I just wanted to vent that it seems like my lo gets sick all the time. Isn't he suppose to have all of these great immunities from my breast milk? I feel like I'm constantly reading post on these boards about how your los are never sick. My lo is 19 months and nurses a lot. He has a double ear infection. He had an ear infection 3 weeks ago that I guess didn't get cleared up (we went to an urgent care doc who probably didn't leave him on the meds long enough). He had a tummy bug at the end of March as well. A terrible stomach bug at Christmas (I got that one too, lucky me) He had hand, foot, and mouth in the fall as well as a couple other bugs; RSV last spring. What gives?

Laura

Default Re: He's sick again

Sorry to hear your little one is sick again. It's so hard to see them be uncomfortable. There are so many factors, it's difficult to say why some catch more illnesses than others. Rest assured that nursing does have great benefits, even through an illness, for nutrition, immunities and comfort. My youngest has had several ear infections, while my oldest has had only one. But maybe with formula or earlier weaning they both would have had even more! It's hard to say. Nursing offers some protection and lowers risk factors and the likelihood or duration of illnesses but it's not a guarantee, either.

I feel your pain. The first time my lo got sick, I felt very disillusioned about the whole immunity benefits thing. She does seem to catch more colds than the average child her age and is still nursing at 16 mos. I guess I want to beleive that it would be worse if she weren't breastfed and that makes me feel better.

I had friends tell me that their lo's didn't get sick for the first year....how nice!!

Hope your lo feels better soon.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Hi there
    I'm new here. Just wanted to say that I'm in the trenches with you and totally sympathize with your frustration level. My son is 13 mths old and still nursing. He seems to get sick every other week with either the croup, upper respiratory infection, stomach virus, etc. In fact, he's been breastfed his entire life and had to had ear tubes put in for recurrent ear infections. So, while I do believe bFing confers some immunity (esp in infants), I don't believe that it is highly protective in toddlers. Also, remember that infants harbor maternal antibodies from their in utero days. Unfortunately these antibodies disappear at/around 8 mths of age.

Hang in there. My pedi told me that it was like putting in your time. All parents have to watch their children go through it at some point-- just that we;re getting it over with sooner vs. later.

A

Are any of the above babies/toddlers in daycare?

I am so sorry ladies!! My dd has been amazingly healthy her first year, but we are practically hermits! I work from home and I homeschool my boys so she has little chance of getting exposed to things. She HAS had a few runny noses, but nothing serious until recently.

I hope that your LO feels better soon and that his health improves. My first son, also nursed or fed ebm to a year, has battled CONSTANT ear infections, despite the fact that his environment was exactly the same as my daughter. Who knows what causes it? Come to think of it, we lived in a different house when he was young. Maybe it has something to do with the air quality?

I don't know, all babies are different. I wish I had some helpdul advice, but don't beat yourself up about it.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

I remember feeling that same sense of "Seriously, what gives?" when my LO had what seemed to be a string of colds from month 4-7. I constantly had to reassure myself that in the long-term, both baby and I benefit from BF. Our baby educator shared that a BF baby may have a raised IQ of 6-7 points. For me, the bonding has been one of the central perks. I suppose too that even with immunity from us, they still have an immature immune system which our ped says explains why once they have something it lingers. Me, I can generally knock off a cold in a few days with additional rest, Vitamin C, the works, but DS seemed to battle colds for a month at a time. I found it infuriating too when I knew the cold came from a relative or friend who had a cold and "shared" that gift with DS.

Sending you good energy, support and hopes for improved health and wellness!