Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking a bath WITH baby?

Default Re: Taking a bath WITH baby?

one more ?. How do you shower with a baby? They are so slipper!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

to shower with DS I usually put him in a bath seat or even lay him on a warm towel outside of the tub until I'm washed off then I pick him up and hold him, soap him up with one hand and usually just hang the cloth over the hand rail or drop his little poofy thing into the tuband rinse him off. He likes it when the water runs over his back. He is slippery but I just make sure to have one arm under his bum and holding him close!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

How funny that this post is going on today. I just had my first shower with my baby boy after we got through with our first swim. He loved the swim for about 20 min then got intimidated by his loud splashing uncle so we came inside. I didn't want to leave the baby sunscreen on his skin, but he was screaming and cold so I didnt have time for a bath - we hopped in the shower and it immediatley calmed him down. We have a seat in there so I just sat down and crossed one leg over the other and sat him in my lap with his head on my knee. I will definiately try a bath next!

DH and I also bathe with Gabe =) We used the baby bathtub for a while - but he didnt seem to enjoy it. Then DH decided to take him into the bath with him and the tradition was born. DS gets grumpy when we dont bathe with him like when we spend the night at Nana and Gaggees. (They have hard water and a tiny bathtub)

He always spends some time splashing and trying to grab the washcloth to suck on. It is a lot more fun and very relaxing for me. He hasnt tried to nurse in the tub yet but then I dont usually hold him in the crook of my arm in there.

He probably pees every bath - occasionally he will try to get the toilet from a laying down position

He only pood in the tub once - and he was maybe 2 or three weeks old at the time.

when they are smaller (i.e. 3 weeks) how long do you stay in?

when they are smaller (i.e. 3 weeks) how long do you stay in?
    As long as the baby likes it! My son hated the baby bath, but he loves to take a bath with me.

I lay a thick hooded towel on the floor next to the tub. When he's done, I lay him down and wrap him up and finish my bath.

Im not a big BATH taker, so I am just asking this more out of curiosity...how do you manage to wash yourself while bathing with an infant? Or is sharing a bath with a baby more for the baby than the mama?

I would like to try to bath with Abby. She LOVES being in the water. She could be screaming her head off and as soon as her little feet touch the water she stops and is all smiles until its time to get out! I bet it would be more fun splashing around in the tub WITH her.

Bathing with baby sounds like GREAT bonding time.

I don't dare take a shower with Abby. I showered only a handful of times with my now 6 year old and I had the hardest time holding on to her!

Quote Originally Posted by walimaki View Post
    Im not a big BATH taker, so I am just asking this more out of curiosity...how do you manage to wash yourself while bathing with an infant? Or is sharing a bath with a baby more for the baby than the mama?
    Last night was my first w/ DS, but I had showered before. So to me the bath is more about baby. I think a PP mentioned that she laid lo in a hooded towel on the floor while she washed. Or you could pass lo off to DH or BF while you wash.

BTW...

I LOVED THE BATH WITH HIM!!!!

I started as soon as her cord fell off. It hadn't occurred to me, but was suggested in one of my breastfeeding books. So I did and she LOVED IT. I would take a shower first and make sure I was good and clean. Then just grab her and get in the tub. We have a garden tub so I was able to lay back comfortably and hold her. She nursed in the beginning, then when she was about 2 months old, she wanted to stand. So i would hold her up and she would "stand" in the bath and splash. She thought she was a BIG GIRL! She has tinkled in the tub, but I would just drain and refill. No poopoo's yet!

my experience with baby baths/showers:
    i've only sat in the bathtub with dd a handful of times because she would try to nurse whenever i did, lol! but i have taken her in the shower many times. dd gets very nasal-y when it's cold so sometimes during the winter we'll take family showers and dh and i will take turns holding her. i've found that if you hold them with both arms then they are less likely to slip and slide around. i usually wrap one arm under her and the other arm behind the base of her neck. it's nice to have someone else in the shower with you, that way one can hold and the other can wash. but you don't always have to soap them up in the shower, just being in there under the water can soothe them. i hope that info helps.