Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking a bath WITH baby?

Red face Taking a bath WITH baby?

Let me start off by saying...please forgive me if these are really dumb questions!

How do you take a bath with a baby? How old should he/she be? Do you hold him/her in your arms the whole time? What about the baby peeing/pooping in the bath?

Default Re: Taking a bath WITH baby?

I have never gotten instructions for how to take a bath with baby. I started when they were about two weeks, just because most of the time I was way too tired. All I do is hold them in the crook of one arm, and then I wash them with the other hand. Very very slippery though, worse than a fish! My babies have gone potty in the tub, and all I do is just let the water out, rinse it, and rerun the tub, all with me sitting there with baby. Also, I have a detachable massage showerhead, and I brought that down and put it on a gentle setting, and then put it on baby. she fell asleep, and was so relaxed. It was nice to see her so content and comfortable. Hope that helps!

I actually started as soon as his cord fell off. What I do is sit indian style in the tub and put him in my legs. This way his body is in the warm water, my legs are holding his head out of the water, and I have two hands to wash, because as pp said they are slippery little suckers. Beware though..an open naked boob is an invite and he has never not nursed in the tub I love it!! As far as the peeing and pooping in the tub. Well as pp said rinse it out and start over again. It is such a relaxing situation for both mom and baby!

DS has never pooped in the bathtub. And hes 4 months old! I really couldn't tell ya if he's peed in there....

He always pees when he gets out, so we have to have an extra towel on hand.

For baths with me, I take a shower first to rinse off. Then I fill the tub and get in. DH hands Daniel to me. Before I get out, I hand Daniel to DH. If DH isnt there, I have D's bouncy seat next to the tub with the towel ready to go.

I think the key to a successful bath with baby is have everything prepared and within arm's reach before you get in.

I usually put a towel on the bottom of the bath for a soft place for him to kick his feet. We have a porcelin tub and it can feel a little rough.

HTH
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

We've always taken a bath with LO. Ditto was the PP wrote - have everything within arms reach before you start. I also soap up the washcloth before DH hands LO to me. I give him a quick bath - have him wedged in the crook of my arm with his legs between my legs. Then for the rest of the bath, he likes to kick while floating (my hands supporting his neck and shoulders). He LOVES bathtime!

He's only pooped once in 5.5 months - and that was very early on. He probably pees all the time, but I don't consider that a problem.

DS, 11/08/06
    DD 02/06/09

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
    He's only pooped once in 5.5 months - and that was very early on. He probably pees all the time, but I don't consider that a problem.
    What you don't know won't hurt you.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I'm jealous, we don't have a bathtub so I shower with DS. He seems to do well with the shower but it doesn't sound like the relaxing, bonding experience the PP seem to have.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

we have done both, but he showers with me or dh pretty much everyday (sometimes more since where oh where would i put him! lol) hes taken a bath with his big sister a couple of times and come to think of it only twice all by himself!! never pooped in a year...pees almost everytime lol
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

We bathed with DD2 from the word go, I hated using the baby bath with DD1 and began bathing with her after a few months of struggling. Slippery they may be but it is still easier to handle a wet newborn when you are in the tub with them than when you are leaning over a baby-bath trying to hold them with one hand and wash them with the other! Like everyone else has said, you just sit in the bath and hold them in your lap, I always gave DD2 a "swim" by holding her behind her neck and letting her float a while, she's always loved it. The first time she had a bath, when she was about 2 days old (max) she relaxed and spread her arms and legs like a big X and opened her eyes really wide, she was incredibley calm and alert in that bath, and cried when we took her out!

Jenny

I've been bathing with ds since he was just about 4 weeks old. We started in hopes that it'd helpp wean him off the nipple shield, and never stopped. I usually take a quick shower while ds is in his bouncy chair then fill the tub while I get ds ready. I have a little sling type thing that came with his baby tub, I rest the head end on my seat to keep it above the water while I wash him, and then I hang that up on the little "granny bar" in the shower and hold him. He likes to "float" on hhis back while i hold him up with my hands under his neck/shoulders. As for pooping/peeing, ds has never pooped in the tub, I'm sure he's peed I just choose to think it doesn't happen lol.
    nak

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!