Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: foods that affect breastmilk and timing

Default foods that affect breastmilk and timing

Hello everyone,
    Besides dairy, what foods should be limited or avoided when breastfeeding? Also, how long after you eat an offending food does it affect breastmilk and how long does it "taint" the breastmilk? Thanks, Christinep

Default Re: foods that affect breastmilk and timing

Is that a generic rule, that all bf'ing women should avoid dairy? I actually have a lot of dairy (cereal with milk, cheese, yogurt, cream cheese), and DD has a little of what I think is gas, but only at night, not all day.

Thanks, Karen

If you do not have a history of food allergies in you or your husband's family, then eat whatever.

One of the most common food sensitivity is milk. But babies are gassy! Milk is not necessarily causing that. The little ones just need to mature.

The Breastfeeding Answer Book says:

If the mother has healthy eating habits, there is usually no reason to change them when she is breastfeeding. There are no foods (such as cow's milk) that must be consumed while a mother is breastfeeding, and there are no foods that all nursing mothers should avoid. Although there are exceptions, most breastfeeding mothers find they can eat anything they like in moderation--including chocolate and spicy foods--without any effect on their babies. (1997 ed., page 374)

Hope that helps!
    Jen

i was really iffy on so many foods at first because christian was SOOO gassy. he would scream and scream. but as i started to slowly introduce foods into my diet as a breastfeeding mother, we have gotten used to each other. he's also 6 months now, with a little bit more of a mature tummy. but i respect that his body can handle the things i like in moderation, and so i stick to them in moderation. and lucky for me, it's chocolate and dairy...which helps me to not eat the bad dairy and i just stay away from the chocolate when i can and when im weak i just give in and have a little bit to satisfy that craving. i use my "dairy points" as i call them for the healthy dairy like milk, yogurt, and cheese on burgers or deli sandwiches.

some woman find that anything fried or spicy might effect the little ones but it isn't true with all babies and some may be effected but mildly. find what works for you guys, it's all just trial and error
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008