Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm getting discouraged....

Default I'm getting discouraged....

DD is now 7 months old. I should be proud that we've made it this far, but I'm annoyed because it's still not easy. It just feels like such a struggle. When I bf one of my other children, it wasn't hard at all. We just did it and it worked. I never counted diapers, never timed feedings, never worried about it. With this child, it seems like every time I turn around there is something else not going right. I have sore nipples, I get them healed and then something else happens and they are sore again. Her latch looks fine for a while and then boom, it's bad again. We're back to the lipstick shaped nipples again. I can't remember how I fixed that the last time, so we're probably going to have to hunt down the lactation consultant again to work on it. It looks fine from the outside, but obviously something's not right. And to top it off, she's teething and I think she gummed me a little too hard and bruised me in one spot. So, I'm gonna have pain until that heals no matter what.

It just seems like it should be easier and more enjoyable than this. This has been work, from day 1. It's not like the baby is enjoying it, either. She pulls off and throws a fit if I won't let her dig her fist in and stretch my nipple into the next county. She doesn't want to cuddle close. She fights and kicks if I try to get her to nurse in a way that's comfortable for me. And if she does nurse in a way that's comfortable for me, it seems like she's not transferring milk as effectively because I don't hear the same swallow and she pulls off and cries. But, because she gets two bottles and solids during the day, it's hard to know.

I just don't know what to do any more. This last time I tried to nurse her, we both ended up in tears. This isn't the breastfeeding relationship I wanted. I have two other kids, a husband who is out of town most of the time and a job. Just nursing is a big commitment. I don't have time to keep trying to fix it. I just don't know what to do anymore. I want one of those easy relationships where the baby just latches on and it's never a problem.

Default Re: I'm getting discouraged....

You poor thing! I don't have any advice for you, but lots of !
    Good for you for getting this far!!

{{{{ HUGS }}}} to you!!! I really hope that it gets better for you. Congrats on making it 7 months!! My LO does that pulling/pushing, clamping thing too. She gets even more rough with me if I try to pull her in and hold her close against me. She pulls and stretches at every single feeding. I go through weeks where the pain is intense from the clamping. Then she stops for awhile, I feel better, and then she's back at it again.

I just ordered a nursing necklace for her and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival so that maybe it will distract her and keep her occupied while I am feeding her.

I just want you to know that you are not alone. My LO is 6 months and we are in the same boat.

Best of luck to you!

I wish she would at least look satisfied when she gets done nursing. Instead, she looks frustrated or is crying. It's just so hard when it doesn't seem to be working.

I know exactly how you feel. My daughter just turned 6 months and it's been a pretty bumpy road. Mostly bumpy. I don;t understand fully why I'm still doing it either. I'ts just something inside of me that just keeps pushing me. I know I'm giving her the best. I only lasted 6 weeks with my son and I guess I am determined to make it work this time. There are times when the stars have aligned and we have a few good feedings in a row and I tell myself this is why I do it . Good luck, if you want to chat some more you can message me.

Vicky