Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: !!Still biting

Default !!Still biting

I am so upset. For the past two days I've been very strict about ending feedings and putting DS down every time he bit me. And I thought it was working because yesterday he only bit me once.

But today he bit me twice while we were at the park. The second time it hurt so bad I thought I was going to cry. Then I saw the big blood stain on my shirt. It was really embarassing on top of being painful. I feel like I can't nurse him in public anymore because it will be giving a bad impression of breastfeeding. But I can't realistically stay in the house forever.

What else can I do to stop the biting?

Should I stop giving him a sippy cup? He gets one at mealtimes and he does bite the spout a lot. Maybe he thinks that its okay to bite me too.

Help!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Default Re: !!Still biting

Oh I am so sorry that you are going through that!!! I don't have any advice really. You are doing the right thing - stopping the feeding and putting your LO down and making sure he knows the nursing session is over. Have you tried firmly telling him "no biting, that hurts Mommy"? I'm sure you have...sorry, just figured I'd ask. It's reasons like this that make me dread when my LO gets teeth.

Please don't feel like instances like the one you described will give NIP a bad rap - if anything, people will sympathize. Anyone who thinks negatively about a mom nursing and having trouble like biting should have to go through it themselves. People can be so thoughtless. I hope you have not been given any grief for that.

Best of luck - I really hope it gets better for you very soon!!! Have you called your local LLL leader? Maybe an IBCLC? Pediatrician?

Oh wow. At the park, eh? Could be that the biting is related to distraction. Definitely keep an eye on him while he is nursing. Watch for any signs of boredom, and especially watch for building tension in the jaw. These two things signal that baby may bite. Stick your finger in the corner of his mouth, break the suction, and try again later. Remember: the best way to cure biting is to PREVENT it. It's important to be diligent about watching baby nurse, at least until this phase passes.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bite.html

I agree with the PP's and there advice just wanted to add one thing after having a biter myself, what I have noticed that my DS bit alot when teeth are coming in, happend with every tooth so far, Is it possible your LO is teething and maybe in a bit of pain? If so I have noticed with mine that as soon as the tooth was well erupted the biting stoped, I no not much help but by my experience it will pass, but come back time to time with teething. Just keep taking him off when he does so he knows its wrong! HTH

Thank you for the replies ladies. "Constant vigilance" is my new nursing motto. I do think the biting might be related to distraction so I'm trying to minimize it. So, no more NAK. I just wish I had a way to "minimize" my loud, hyper 3-year-old! (j/k) Yesterday we had only one very minor biting incident and my nipple has healed and I was able to sleep without pain last night, so things are looking up again!

Here's a funny: I told DH that Z bit me and made me bleed and he said "Really? Blood? I thought milk would come out!" Like after all this time he still thinks my boobs are milk filled balloons!!!??? Men!
    Last edited by FluffyN; April 25th, 2007 at 10:17 AM.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyN View Post
    Thank you for the replies ladies. "Constant vigilance" is my new nursing motto. I do think the biting might be related to distraction so I'm trying to minimize it. So, no more NAK. I just wish I had a way to "minimize" my loud, hyper 3-year-old! (j/k) Yesterday we had only one very minor biting incident and my nipple has healed and I was able to sleep without pain last night, so things are looking up again!
    Good to hear! Keep us posted.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin