Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply and OALD?

Default Oversupply and OALD?

I had originally thought, by everything I was reading, that I had these two issues. It seemed they came hand in hand. My LO was choking and coughing most times when she started to BF. It's definitely calmed down now, and she doesn't seem to cough but maybe a couple times a week, if that. So I'm guessing that maybe the OALD problem has figured itself out since I've been blockfeeding for about 3-4 weeks now? My LO is almost 7 weeks old. The only problem I'm having still is SERIOUS leaking. It seems more often a problem with my right breast than my left. So because of this, I was assuming I still had OS issues? I'm trying to figure out what to do. I need to start to pump because she goes to daycare next week, but my manual pump is only getting me about 2 oz each session, which won't be enough since she often eats 3-4 oz each time. I'm wondering if my leaking is still an OS issue, or if I should go back to offering both breasts and then pumping both? Any ideas?
    TIA

Default Re: Oversupply and OALD?

I won't tell ya what to do, per se, but I will tell you what we've done/experienced. I 'suffered' from both OS and OALD and was lucky enough to figure it out too. I started block feeding and it helped tremendously!!!! But as for the leaking, I still leak. DS is 10+ mo old now and - yes it still happens. On the side I'm not nursing on (obviously ) I'll leak a bit through one let down and thats it. But it almost happens every time, still. I think because with the block feeding there really isn't a set time frame pattern due to night time feeding causing a longer span in between. SO my supply is trying to comabt that every day. But it doesnt seem to be a detriment to anything so thats just what I figure.

HTH
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

So from your experience you'd say it's probably just a leaking problem and not necessarily an OS or OALD issue anymore? Do you think I should start offering the second breast? I'm so confused!

even if it was due to OS it not a "problem" problem, know what I'm saying? I would think if the blockfeeding is working for you guys, then stick with it!! I am on, usually 4 hours blocks. THats just what works for us.

Have to talked to a leader about this? They might be able to offer some reassurance with the leaking Here's the link to find one near you if you haven't.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

So then just blockpump too?

Do you pump at all? If so, with a manual or electric?

I dont pump. Sorry I cant help you there. I would think block pumping too would be okay... I am not sure what to advise there... I hope a pumper comes in for that one

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

If your LO is eating well and you are not uncomfortable you should stick with what you're doing, the leaking may just be something that you will have to put up with. I wear disposable pads all the time, you'll get used to it. As to pumping, to have any hope of getting enough milk if you are going back to work you need an expensive electric pump, I think the medela pump in style ($250) and pump in style advanced ($320) are the only ones that can keep up with a working mom, but maybe someone else will chime in on that. I've only used the hospital pump and the pump in style advanced, I'm bf twins and working full time so I didn't want to risk using a lesser model. They are personal care items so the manufacturer will say you can't use it for more than one person, but once you see how it's put together you'll understand it's not really a problem to get one second hand. And you don't want to block pump b/c you actually pump fewer times than you would normally nurse, and pumping will never stimulate your breasts as well as your LO. In the 8hrs mine are in daycare they eat 3 times but I only pump twice.