Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OUCH! Can't take it anymore - what can I do???

Default OUCH! Can't take it anymore - what can I do???

My 5 month old dd has her two bottom teeth and another one is about to pop up on top...she'll start to nurse and then wham, bite down so hard! It kills! I gently stick my finger between to unlatch and then get her latched again but then boom, she'll bite down again! I'm nervous that she's not getting enough to eat and this is getting down right painful. Plus I know she's not sucking while she's biting down either.

What can I do? She nurses great in the morning and evenings (b/c she's tired and all) but during the day when she is awake and lively she bites bites bites!

Thanks for any advice on what to make my biting baby stop!

Also, I am giving her things to chew on between meals...

Default Re: OUCH! Can't take it anymore - what can I do???

I'm getting a little worried about teething myself. I searched the LLL website and found some information - have you tried that? They seem to recomend negative/positive reinforcement. I know the few times my baby does something to hurt me I say "ow!!" and once or twice I've screamed. He tends to get the message. Mabye that would work with teething too?

Good idea...I have been saying 'ow' loudly, mainly b/c it really hurts! I have little bite marks on my nipples. I'll do a search too. Maybe there's a nipple shield-type thing?

When dd has done similar things (no teeth yet though) I say "No." firmly and remove the nipple from her and then reattach her. Now she thinks No is the funniest thing she has ever heard.

I have gone back to the nipple shields for protection. Madella makes some that work great.

Hope, thanks for the info! I will try the nipple shield...I have got to do something, she's looks at me and starts to cry when I say no, poor baby...it's like she doesn't even know what she's doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs_hope
    When dd has done similar things (no teeth yet though) I say "No." firmly and remove the nipple from her and then reattach her. Now she thinks No is the funniest thing she has ever heard.

I have gone back to the nipple shields for protection. Madella makes some that work great.
    my daughter thinks the same thing!!! at her morning feeding she's so fussy but once she gets a few minutes of eating time she'll start to play around at my breast and when i tell her 'no' she'll smile and/or laugh like i'm playing with her.
    i've found that when she does that if i take her off and then put her back on she'll stop playing.