Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastshield Sizing Question

Default Breastshield Sizing Question

Hi Ladies,

I purchased a Medela Pump in Style Advanced breast pump and the breastshields that it comes with are way too small. I need to get a larger size, but I can't figure out what size I need. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this information?

Thanks!
    Angela

Default Re: Breastshield Sizing Question

My LC was able to help me with the size I needed. I would check there if you can. The LC at the hospital I delivered at gave me a free set.

I didn't realize for a while that my breastshields were too small. Apparently nipples aren't supposed to look like little vienna sausages when you pump, LOL. This link is what I stumbled on and it helped me, I had to get the 30mm (Extra Large) breastshields and it made a huge difference. I no longer feel like my nipples are being pulled off when pumping.

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/breashield_fit.html

Just out of curiosity, how did you know to get the xtra large vs the large? I looked at the website, but I still can't tell if mine are too small or not.

The LL consultants at the hospital were more than helpful!! (LIFE SAVERS ACTUALLY!!!)-- They gave us one, and it worked brilliantly!-- We also picked up an extra one at the hospital pharmacy in case we lost the original...

I took an educated guess at the size but I knew the 24 mm were way too small so I figured the 27 mm (only 3mm diff) were probably not quite big enough either. I also have always had large breasts, currently holding steady at G.

How do you know if they are too small? I thought the 24 mm were to small and purchased the XL 30 mm. I recently went back to the 24 mm because it seemed like I was getting less milk with the larger shields. I'm still not getting as I think I should. Any advice would be great.