Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and breast refusal

Default Re: OALD and pumping for work

I am in the same boart as far as DD not liking nursing becasue of OALD....I am now trying to exclusively pump during the day and BF at night (when my let down is either not as forceful or her sucking isn't as strong...for somereason she will nurse fine at 2 am!).....but I don't have oversupply, I am worried that I am losing my supply from pumping...it has only been a week, but at first I would pump one side and get 3-4 oz (exactly what she should be eating, she is 11 weeks)....now I have to pump both sides for longer to get the same amount....what should I do???? I am worried that in another week even pumping both sides won't be enough for her...I usually pump for about 15 minutes...is that too short? When DD was nursing she only ever nursed for 10 minutes (and that was a good feeding)...TIA

Hi areyes,

Instead of exclusively pumping, you might try pumping or hand expressing, just a little bit, before your daughter breastfeeds. Then, you can latch her on after the forceful letdown subsides. Another idea would be to latch her on as usual, and be ready to catch the spray in a cloth diaper or towel when she pulls off...and then latch her on again when the milk slows down. If you don't have an oversupply problem, your daughter should become better at managing your strong letdown reflex as she gets older.

Oh, and 3-4 ounces is a lot of milk to pump from one side for an 11 week old baby. Most moms pumping for a baby this young would be thrilled to be getting that much from both breasts.

Also, I am wondering if you are switching sides half way through a feeding? Many moms find that allowing baby to finish the first breast first helps with OALD.

HTH,

Tiana

LLLTiana,

Thanks for the advice....those are the same suggestions my LC gave me...the problem is she refuses to even latch on now...even if I pump a little before hand....she just screams and screams I was able yesterday to get her to nurse a little bit after I had pumped completely, but only for about two minutes...

I am pumping on both sides at once now and getting between 3-4 oz all together (this is how much she eats every three or so hours)...so for now I guess things are ok, then I am able to nurse her at least once and sometimes twice in the middle of the night, so at least she is still nursing then...but during the day she just will not latch on, maybe if I wait another week she will "forget" about the OALD and try latching again after I pump a little (is it possible that since she is so young she could "forget" the bad experiences?) Thanks again!

Oops, oh yeah and I forget to say that she was always a single side feeder, which is why I started only pumping from one side...she would eat ten minutes, gulping and gasping and then be done and spit up a bunch throughout the day. Now, with pumping, I can get 3-4 oz total from both sides and feed her that with the bottle and she hardly spits up at all, and it takes her like 20 or 25 minutes to finsih that with bottle! Thanks again!

Hi areyes,

It could be the bottles themselves that are causing your daughter to refuse to breastfeeding. This is called nipple confusion or nipple preference...baby gets used to one way of feeding and starts to prefer it over all others. Because of this, I wouldn't recommend waiting a week or two before trying to nurse directly again. You will be more likely to get your daughter back to the breast if you offer to breastfeed her regularly.

I do have some more ideas for you to try:

-give baby lots of skin to skin contact. Many moms find the easiest way to do this is to carry baby, dressed in only a diaper, in a sling next to your chest (wearing an open shirt without a bra). This will give her ample opportunity to experiment with the idea of breastfeeding. Skin-to-skin contact also helps keep your milk supply up because it increases your milk-making hormones.

-take a warm bath or shower with baby. This will be relaxing for both of you and also increases skin-to-skin contact.

-offer to breastfeeding before baby is ravinously hungry, so she doesn't get frustrated as easily

-offer to breastfeed when she is very sleepy or almost asleep. You are doing this at night already , but you could take her to a darkened room during the day when you sense it is time for a nap.

-when you bottle feed her, hold her skin to skin in a nursing position. You want her to associate the "feeling" of nursing with eating.

-alternatively, some moms find that they can completely eliminate bottles by offering their milk in a cup, dropper, syringe, or finger-feeder. I can get you more details on any of these feeding methods if you are interested.

Here is a link to an article on getting baby back to the breast that I hope you will find helpful:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html

This one is by the same author, but is a bit more detailed and technical:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov99p99.html

HTH,

Tiana

Default Re: OALD and breast refusal

Hi Again,

I moved this conversation to a new thread for the sake of clarity. You might get more responses from moms who have btdt, too.

Tiana

Default Re: OALD and breast refusal

We started dealing with OALD at 2wks, but it took me a while to figure out what was going on, and it took even longer for my one of my twins to stop being scared of it. It takes A LOT of patience but you will get though it! If you don't need to pump and bottle feed for work then don't do it, it gives her an easy way out. You can give her the bottle every few days for a feeding if you want to make sure she will still take one. I tried to pump till the the letdown b/c handexpression was usually too tedious for me, then tried to latch lo. If she wouldn't latch, I could usually trick her into it by putting a little milk on my pinky and coaxing her into sucking on that for a few seconds, then quickly switching her to my breast. You could switch her from bottle to breast too if the pinky doesn't work. Once she was nursing I had to pay close attention b/c my milk literally let down up to FIVE times in one session, I had to pop her off and let the stream go into a cloth every time, very painstaking. I also tried exotic positions, but it was so forceful I still had to take her off, so I gave up on that. Within 2 weeks she would latch voluntarily and trust me to take her off, and at 3 months she can usually eat through the let down but if she can't she takes herself off and "talks" to me for a few minutes till I put her back on. My other twin didn't get scared of nursing but started gumming me to stop the flow, I don't know which was more annoying, but I managed to break her of that eventually. Hope this helps some!