Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure what the problem is

Default Not sure what the problem is

My son is 4 weeks old. We had a lot of trouble breastfeeding at first, so for the first three weeks or so I was exclusively pumping, with occasional (unsuccessful) attempts at breastfeeding. In the past week, we've been doing great and I haven't had to use a bottle in several days
    My question is this: frequently when he nurses, he latches on, sucks and swallows for maybe 30 seconds, then pulls off and cries. He'll cry for just a few seconds, looking really uncomfortable, then go right back on. He seems to be getting plenty of milk - his latch is okay, I think, and there is always milk dribbling down when he pulls away. His diaper output has been fine too. I'm not sure if maybe his latch actually isn't good, or maybe if there is too much milk? He will also occasionally maintain suction, but pull his head back, stretching my breast and moving his mouth back toward the nipple (ouch!).
    If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on what is going on, I'd be very grateful!

Default Re: Not sure what the problem is

If you feel your let downs, does he pull off when your milk lets down, or is he happier and stays on when your milk lets down?

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Usually (but not always) he pulls away, or opens his mouth so that it runs all over the place (I just discovered today how much dried milk ends up behind his ear - ick!! ). But he'll also pull away later on in the nursing session, it's not always just in the beginning. And like I said, he eagerly goes back on after a few moments of crying.

Maybe OALD- Over Active Let Down.... Never had a problem with it myself, but I just wanted to rule out that he was not just frustrated with a slow flow see in how he was on a bottle for a while. Treatment for that is block-feeding, but I am not sure if block-feeding is ok to do at only four weeks...hopefully someone else will know

here are some links..the second one is probably best
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p71.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    Last edited by ee_lime; April 22nd, 2007 at 11:24 PM.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Mama- congrats on the new babe...

I cant post a lengthy reply that I have been known to do, but I wanted to post a link (or two)here and theres some info there that may help you.

I agree it may be a case of overactive letdown. THat link above has a link to this page here - but here it is here for your convenience for you to check out and see if its sounds familiar.

came back to add links for finding a IBCLC (to find a certified LC) as well as the LLL pages for locating one in your area. They are great recources for in person help if the need arises and you can usually find a LLL leader to talk with you over the phone if you cant get to a meeting!!!

okay I am back once again to post a few LLL pages on overactive let down here... & here
    Last edited by Number3; April 22nd, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.