Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeed or solids first?

Default breastfeed or solids first?

Question for all you moms out there,

Do I have to offer nursing first before meals or can I just go right to feeding solids, then nurse after?

My DS is 8 1/2 mos old just now really eating solids at 8 months. He'll eat 1-2 ounces twice a day if I offer them first, then nurse after. If I do the reverse he won't eat hardly at all.

Our schedule is this:

7am wake up, nurse

9:30 nurses well, then nap

12 noon solids, then nurses (not much)

1:30 nurses well, then nap

4:30 nurses somes

5pm solids

6:30 - 7 nurses well, then bedtime

nurses around 8:30, 11, then sleeps til 5 or 6 am *Usually except lately I think he's doing a growth spurt and nursing a lot more a night (we cosleep still)

Any suggestions would be so appreciated. If I nurse him first before solids, he won't eat. But he's only eating 2-3 ounces total solids per day.

Thanks!

Default Re: breastfeed or solids first?

I always read that until 9 mos at least you should nurse first then feed as bm is the most important and you are supplimenting it. (Canadian Pediatric Society)

Hope that helps.

By this stage, I used to nurse my babies from one side, then give the solids, then finish off by nursing from the other side. This has always worked well for us.

It's a good idea to offer to nurse before offering a few teaspoons of solids This prevents baby from taking in too much of the non-nutritive solid foods. For the first full year of life, breastmilk should make up the vast majority of baby's daily calories. HTH!
    Last edited by LLLCarol; April 10th, 2006 at 08:23 AM.

I often nurse my 9 m.o. DD after a solid meal . On a typical day she'll get up around 7:30 or 8:00, I nurse her, then I'll feed her a modest amount of solid (fresh grated apple with prune to help pass all the solids) at 10:00 followed by a good nursing at around 10:30 right before her mid-morning nap. She gets 3 small amounts of solids per day, with second meal being home-made organic vegetable soup and third meal being a little bit of avocado. The amounts are not a lot, enough to keep her interested in solids, but keeping breastfeeding as the main source of nutrition. I have found that for me nursing her after a meal helps me know that she's well fed and I keep the solid intake low. HTH
    Last edited by Mom2Annika; April 13th, 2006 at 12:14 AM.