Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will Birth Control Pill Affect My Milk Supply at 13 Months?

Default Will Birth Control Pill Affect My Milk Supply at 13 Months?

Hi! My son is down to nursing 2-3 times per day mostly for comfort at 13 months and I am thinking about starting the birth control pill now but am worried that it will affect my milk supply. Can anyone share their experience? The doctor told me it was fine when he was 2 months old but I had heard antedotely that it could have a signifigant effect on my supply at that time. Does anyone know if it might cause a problem at this stage?

Thanks!

Default Re: Will Birth Control Pill Affect My Milk Supply at 13 Months?

I believe it's primarily estrogen containing BCP's that can affect your supply. I take progesterone-only minipills and have since my son was about 3 months old (he is also about 13 months now). I have never noticed any impact on my supply. The drawbacks of minipills include irregular spotting and the fact that you have to take them at exactly the same time every day.

They've been a good option for me. Hope that helps!

I agree with the PP. I am taking the mini-pill and haven't had any problems with my milk supply. The irregular spotting can be a little disconcerting at first, but as long as you know up front that is normal with these then you kind of know to expect it. In some women it can also cause you to not have the AF. The way my doctor described it to me is that it more or less makes your body think it is already pregnant. You do have to take it the same time everyday, but it isn't difficult to remember as long as you time it with something else that is important like your LO's bedtime.

ditto.

Some say that if your supply is well established the combination pills should not affect supply. However, IMO I figure why risk it if there are other options.

Does the mini-pill have a side effect of weight gain?

Yes, weight gain is a listed side effect.

Here is more info about contraception from LLL:
    THE BREASTFEEDING DYAD AND CONTRACEPTION
    And from kellymom (non-LLL site):
    Birth Control and Breastfeeding

Mary