Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day 10 and still barely any milk!.....

Default Re: Day 10 and still barely any milk!.....

thanks guys. Thier weights when they left the hospital were the same as there first pediatrician visit. So he said they are doing well..but i am just worried about this weeks appointment.

i called the LC at the hospital and she recomended to slowly wean off the formula ( every other feed, then every third feed, etc), watch the wet diapers, and feed them whenever they show signs for however long they want. She said she thinks i AM making milk, it just isn't isn't reflecting in the pumped milk ( some people don't do well with the pump, she says) So we tried it since yesterday..it was hectic because they wanted to feed all the time! i haven't mastered the football hold yet so i can't save time that way yet...trying though. i pretty much nursed one or the other all day/night long! but if it pays off in the end, i am fine with that.

what do you all think of her advice?
    when should i squeeze in a nap?
    maybe i can feed on demand during the day, and keep the formula at night so they sleep a little longer and mom and dad get some rest.

thanks again, everyone.

Hi! I'm glad you were able to get some advice from an LC. The recommendations she gave sound very good to me. Even with just one baby, many moms find they do nothing but nurse in the beginning. They will become more efficient as they get bigger and won't need to spend so much time at the breast. I'd recommend contacting your local LLL and see if they know any moms of twins. Someone who has BTDT might be able to help you with the positioning to nurse them both at once as well as give you some tips about management.

Personally, (and this is just my opinion-I'm not in your shoes), I'd try to wean off of the supplements around the clock rather than just during the day (gradually as the LC suggested). That is the fastest and best way to ensure an adequate milk supply, and that way you won't have to worry about bottles during the night. After you get the hang of things, it really is easier to just feed from the breast than to deal with a bottle. Yes, it's true that someone else would be able to do the bottle feeding, BUT--while any breastmilk is wonderful and the more the better, there ARE definite advantages in terms of health benefits to exclusive breastfeeding. Breastmilk is easier on the digestive systems and is specifically suited to the baby at that particular stage of development.

Do you have anyone that can help you so you can try to squeeze in a little sleep? Try to sleep anytime the babies are sleeping. Also, as you get more of the hang of breastfeeding, you can learn to nurse lying down (that can take a bit though).

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing!

formula doesn't garentee more sleep at night!
    Thats a big myth.
    It sometimes takes premies a while to get the hang of breastfeeding.
    Bringing home babies is a big adjustment for all.
    Get some help!

I have a friend who has a baby that is now four weeks old. She started breastfeeding and switched to formula for night time feedings in hopes that the baby would sleep longer between feedings (the baby is feeding every 1 1/2 hours). The theory didn't work as the baby's feeding pattern seems to be a little milk very often and her milk supply for breastfeeding is now compromised - and now she has to take the time to clean bottles! I would follow the advice of the LC. If you stick with it you will succeed!

I forgot to mention to check out the "Nursing Multiples" board on this forum (scroll down a bit on the main page) for more info and ideas. There is a thread on there about nursing both babies at the same time.

yeah and Karen Will come along and help too if you post in the Nursing Multiples board. She runs the Multiples LLL in Cininatti.
    How are things today any beter?

Quote Originally Posted by cherylNJ View Post
    i called the LC at the hospital and she recomended to slowly wean off the formula ( every other feed, then every third feed, etc), watch the wet diapers, and feed them whenever they show signs for however long they want. She said she thinks i AM making milk, it just isn't isn't reflecting in the pumped milk ( some people don't do well with the pump, she says) So we tried it since yesterday..it was hectic because they wanted to feed all the time! i haven't mastered the football hold yet so i can't save time that way yet...trying though. i pretty much nursed one or the other all day/night long! but if it pays off in the end, i am fine with that.

what do you all think of her advice?
    when should i squeeze in a nap?
    maybe i can feed on demand during the day, and keep the formula at night so they sleep a little longer and mom and dad get some rest.

thanks again, everyone.
    I think your LC gave excellent advice! I bolded the part I think is MOST important. I have never had twins, so I can only imagine the sleep deprivation you are going through feeding both on demand right now. And yes, they are most likely entering into their 2-week growth spurt and you will be bfing nonstop.
    Squeeze in a nap whenever humanly possible. Don't worry about anything but feeding and caring for your LOs. Eat take out on paper plates if you have to. Ideally, you have some extra help around the house but try not to worry about non-essential things right now.
    You are doing great! Keep up the good work.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

not too good today...trying to wean the formula off to every 3rd feeding, but they just scream in hunger and show signs of wanting more milk...so i kept giving them the breast but they still are not satisfied. I gave them each 1/2 oz or formula and they are happy now. Also, its already 2pm and only 1 wet diaper so far each.

i don't think this is gonna work out, i have milk, just not enough, i guess..

The first day will be difficult. It may take a few days for your breasts to really kick in. Don't give up yet! Also, just keep putting them on the breast. Its the best/quickest way to tell your breasts to make more! It may seem like your starving your babies, but your not going to do that. You are going to produce that tiny bit extra that is needed, and everything will work out.

So things have changed since last week. At their 2 week visit, Owen lost 3 oz- down 15 oz from birth weight! and Sofia still hasn't gotten back up to birth weight. Ped recommended continuing one baby on BOTH breasts for a feeding (to keep the stimulation) while giving 2 oz formula to the other baby. Then switch who gets breast/formula for the next feeding. He said keep them on max. for 15 minutes on each breast, don't pump, and try to feed them every 2 hours in the daytime, and 3 hours at night. We were really scared about the weight loss so we fed them like this hard core all weekend.

Today they both gained 4 oz each (1 oz/ day)!! Ped said to continue this feeding for now. My milk still seems the same, a tiny bit better since drinking Mothers milk tea 3 tmes per day, but nothing miraculous. I pumped today and got 1/2 oz from both breasts (alot for me!!) but i am thinking of adding the pumping back after each feed...at least during the day. Just for more stimulation. But that will be like 10-12 breast feedings PLUS 8-10 pumping sessions per day! that's what i was doing the first week and it didn't increase my supply at all!

i am getting so discouraged, i feel like i am weaning them off breast by giving so much formula. I feel like soon my supply will dry up.

Of course they are always more satisfied if they got formula rather than breast. And at night, the one that got the breast wants to suck allllll night long.

Its taking alot out of me, i keep crying, and feel sad that i am failing. i don't have time to sit and enjoy staring at them cuz i just want to get a nap in before the next feeding! DH just went back to work today and i am all alone, its depressing and lonely.