Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day 10 and still barely any milk!.....

Default Day 10 and still barely any milk!.....

hello, i am new and need some answers. My twins were born 10 days ago and i started pumping in the hospital every 3 hours after each "feed" of colostrum. Then the twins lost too much weight so they had me supplement w/ formula (.5 oz after each breast feeding attempt). We are home, still supplementing and pumping every 3 hours with a hopsital pump BUT i only get a few drops to cover the bottom of the collection bottle. Babies seem to be latching okay, and pediatrician said to only continue supplementing if they show signs of hunger-which they always do! so i always give it.

I thought milk comes in by day 3-6. Does it seem like if i am at day 10 it may not ever come? I skin-to-skin them (kangaroo), drink as much water as i did when i was pregnant ~16 glasses/day, try to take naps in between feeds. i just feel so discouraged. I was so adamant about breastfeeding and the milk supply is just holding back my goals!

If the milk comes- we could stop the formula- stop wasting time heating and preparing formula and washing bottles- have more time to rest and relax- and get these babies back to their weights! (and stop my crying...)

The milk would just solve everything!

Default Re: Day 10 and still barely any milk!.....

On average how much supplementing are you doing, I'm confused at whether you are giving the 1/2 oz every 3 hours or what? How often are you nursing. How many wet/soiled diapers do you see in a 24 hour period? What are the weights when you guys left the hospital, what are they now? Did you have a c-section or were there any complications after or during your birth?

And now for the hard part, take a deep breath of air and try to relax! Everything will be ok!

So far you are doing the best thing- the number one rule is feed the baby. My guess is that you are producing milk, and that there isn't much left to pump out yet. Also, pumping is a terrible way to ascertain how much milk you have (really). A baby uses compression and suction, plus they trigger physiological responses and milk let downs ect. A pump just does some miserable sucking, and thats it.
    If I could encourage you to place the babies at the breast more often (no matter what you are doing now, more is always the best solution for low milk supply). At 10 days old you will be bfing every 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours for improved milk supply. Sometimes every hour or sometimes they won't turn you loose for hours at a time during a growth spurt. Incidentally you are coming up on one of those quickly ( 3, 6, 9, and 12 weeks, 4 mo. ect) and it might account for the voracious hunger you are witnessing. Your baby(s) will increase its demand to nurse, thus stimulating the breast to produce more milk. It is all extremely connected and when you supplement you are robbing the breast of the signal to make more milk- so pump when you supplement. Doesn't make much sense to supplement in a way. I guess we will see how much you are supp-ing, when you respond.
    Have you called your local la leche league leader yet? Sounds like you could use some friendly conversation about bfing with a live person?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; April 23rd, 2007 at 12:23 AM.

-i supplement both with 1.2 oz at each feeding which is every 3 hours.
    when in if they fuss i also bring them to the breast in between feedings (usually at night)
    -i get 4-5 wet diapers 3-4 soiled diapers daily but it varies.
    -i had a csection and i also caught some bug last week, fever &chills and i'm on an antibiotic and extra strength motrin
    -their weights at birth 6.15 &4.11 and at last thursdays check up were 6.3 & 4.6.

it is very hard to squeeze in more breast time. by the time they are done with 10-20 minutes on the breast, given formula, burped, diaper changed. i have less than an hour to take a quick nap, or do something. but, as i said, when they do get fussy, i just try to carry one around latched while i do things or fall asleep.

thanks for responding!

sorry! typo ...i supplement with 1/2 oz (.5 oz) at each feeding

don't be afraid to call your local LLL leader.
    heres the link to find her.
    http://www.lalecheleaguenj.org/

if the babies are only taking 1/2 oz of bottle they must be getting lots of milk from you.
    Some mothers find that they don't have much luck with the pump.
    most newborns need to nurse 8-12 times in 24 hours to get the milk they need.
    Get some help with the house hold stuff so that you can take them to bed and just nurse. Thats the way to make more milk.
    good luck!

I think I would get a LC and/or your dr to check things out. Sometimes there can be a physical reason for your milk not coming in (like retained placenta) or your milk might be "in" and you not realize it. Like the pp said, a call to your LLLLeader would be a good place to start.

I agree with the PP, I'd strongly suggest getting in touch with a local LLL leader or board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) to help you in person. The LC can weigh the babies before and after a feed to see how much milk they are taking. She can also check latch and positioning and help you with breastfeeding management.

Do you have a good nursing pillow? They make some specifically to use for nursing twins. With that you may be able to nurse both at one time. That would allow you to get in more feedings in less time. One of the most common causes for low milk supply/slow weight gain in the early weeks is not enough time at the breast. Some newborns need to feed VERY frequently to get enough. This can be really hard to do with twins, but if you can manage it it will pay off in the long run. Do you have someone to help with other tasks so you can just focus on nursing for awhile? This is often necessary even with just one baby.

So 1/2 oz every 3 hours means that they are getting lots of milk from you! Shorten the amount of time between the feedings and consider losing the supplement; waste of time. You are totally able to take up the slack, and obviously your body is producing milk so I would just go ahead and trust your body. I agree about the pillow and do both at the same time, that way when your milk lets down both babies can share in it. I also totally hear you about the sleep and I can tell you that it will get easier as time goes by. Those first 4 weeks are like, "Whoa!"
    So you gave us the birth weight, but I'm interested in their weight when they left the hospital, not the birth weight. Most babies drop a significant amount of weight before it begins to head upwards. Normal.

Just so you know, a cold will reduce your supply a little but its not permanent. I think that the meds they give you when you have a c-section can have you head out the starting gate a tad bit slower too. Someone please correct me here....
    It really looks like your on the right track, hang in there and don't hesitate to call your local lll leader.

how are things going?