Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cereal?

Default Cereal?

For those of you who make your own babyfood:
    What types of cereal do you give your baby and how do you make it?

Thanks
    Breastfed for 20months

Default Re: Cereal?

I don't make my baby's cereal but here is a good link on what and how to make:
    http://wholesomebabyfood.com/cereals.htm

If you don't make it; whats the best to buy? Thanks
    Breastfed for 20months

I just asked the same question and nobody really answered me, either! One mama did, (thank you). I just decided to try earth's best oatmeal after he spit out and gagged on sweet potato and banana and mixed it with breastmilk and he really liked it. He loved avacado so I wanted to try something more bland and in a few days I'll try adding other foods to the oatmeal.

This is the recipe I used. We liked the brown rice to start and then switched to oatmeal and that really became the staple around here. He didn't care for the barley too much but liked the millet also. Hope this helps!

Using a food processor or blender, blend organic brown rice until it
    is finely ground, like a flour.
    Boil some water in a saucepan with a lid, about 2 cups, slowly whisk in about 1/4 cup of the rice flour.
    Cover and turn down to minimum heat. Stir every 2 minutes for 10 minutes.
    This will last in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days.

You can also use instead of brown rice, whole grain oats, pearled barley, or millet. Millet is a good starter cereal as it is easy to digest. Oats and barley are 1/4 cup to one cup water. Millet is 3 TBSP to 1 cup water. Cook the same.

As far as buying it goes, I think that is really up to you. Some moms don't buy it ever and just skip the cereal phase. The rice cereals are recommended because of low chance of allergies but they really have zero nutritional value. They are just empty calories. I made my own. I felt that way he was getting something good but nothing from a box. He is now just over a year and has never had store bought baby food!
    Last edited by wyattsmom; April 23rd, 2007 at 08:51 AM.

There are a few mamas on here that dont give cereal... we (as I am included ) start with whole foods and dont give commercial foods/store bought baby foods at all. Well at least that is for sure the case with me

Here's a link from LLL on first foods

Here's one that talks about when baby is ready.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks everyone
    Breastfed for 20months

I use Earth's Best, oatmeal when he is constipated and rice when he has loose stools. I once tried to make my own at home but I couldn't get the consistency right so I gave up.

I avoided cereal as well, they really aren't ready for grains till closer to a year so we stuck mostly to fruits and veggies