Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often to feed?

Default How often to feed?

At what age can they safely space their feedings out more? My DD is 2 weeks old and is going from an every 2 hour feeding schedule to an every 3 or 4 hour feeding schedule. I was told at the hospital to wake her during the night if she hadn't nursed in 3 hours (and same thing during the day).

Is this normal for her age, or, at 2 weeks should she still be nursing every 2 to 3 hours?

FYI, she's very content between feedings, and pee/poo seems normal.

Default Re: How often to feed?

I was told that for the first 6 weeks to wake baby every 2-3 hours during the day, and no longer than 4 hours at night (which was never an issue...DS always woke after 3 hours!). It's important to feed often to get your milk supply up. I know it's awfully tempting to let that sleeping baby sleep, but if your doc said to do so, I would go with that. Little tiny babies don't always wake up if they are hungry. I would be very surprised if you woke your baby after 2 or 3 hours and she didn't want to nurse!!

My son is 11 weeks old and still nurses ever 2-3 hours during the day, but I do get a nice 5-6 hour stretch most nights.

hang in there!!

No problems with milk supply! LOL In fact, I have to feed her often just to keep the engorgement at bay, although I was curious to know if her "slowing down" was normal.

Thanx!

There are so many individual difference that may affect breastfeeding! Babies' nursing patterns vary from one to the next and then an individual baby's pattern may vary as he grows, too. A healthy baby with a good suck who is gaining normally and thriving will naturally fall into the nursing pattern that is best suited for him (or her!).

Mary

My second dd nursed every 4 hours around the clock nearly from the day I brought her home, and believe me, she grew just fine! I had a nurse tell me with this last child that I needed to wake her every 2 hours to feed, which I found a bit crazy ...but she became a bit jaundiced, so perhaps if I had fed her every 2 hours, that wouldn't have happened....I don't know, but I guess every child is different, and if she is having enough wet and dirty diapers and is gaining weight, I don't see why you would have to wake her.