Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hiccups

Default hiccups

My LO is 4 weeks old and is EBF but she seems to get the hiccups alot. Are there any suggestions on avoiding these. I know BF babies are supposed to get less air when BFing but why is she getting these so often? Any suggestions on ways to avoid these?

Default Re: hiccups

Per Dr. Sears:
    Overfeeding is a common cause of hiccups. If the stomach distends too fast or becomes too full, this can trigger the diaphragm muscle to go into spasms. When breastfeeding, try slowing down feedings, and stop and burp your baby as you switch from one breast to the other
    http://www.parenting.com/parenting/b...604623,00.html

My ds had hiccups a lot early on; seemed like every feeding. I dont even know when the change was but he doesn't get them very often anymore. I just tried to burp him every 5 minutes or so.
    Breastfed for 20months

For us [frequent] hiccups were a warning sign that we needed to increase DS's GER medication..... Reflux babies tend to have hiccups more often than other babies...not to say that your LO has reflux, especially if there are no other symptoms.

Nursing is the only sure way for us to "cure" them.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Our DS who is now 6 months old had the hiccups a few times per day in the first 6-8 weeks. Our ped prescribed a reflux med, but he really didn't have all the symptoms of reflux so we hesitated with using the med. We decided not to use the medication and he was fine, but I have heard that it benefit some babies as well. He eventually outgrew the hiccups and only gets them maybe once every few days.

What I've heard is that since a babies nervous system is developing esp in the first few weeks/months hiccups are common.

They get them when in your uterus and there's nothing you're doing then to cause them. They tend to bother parents more than babies

Gripe water is good for them. Go on drugstore.com
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

How did you know your baby had GER? She does spit up fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahs1 View Post
    How did you know your baby had GER? She does spit up fairly often.
    DS had silent reflux (for the most part). He did not spit up often. His reflux symptoms included "colic" in the first several weeks - b/c we couldn't figure out what was wrong, frequent snacking instead of filling up at the breast (GER babies don't like to have full tummies), obvious pain with hiccups and burps and crying while nursing. DS was rx'd Zantac which curbed the symptoms but he quickly outgrew doses. He was eventually switched to Prevacid which eliminated all of the symptoms and made him a brand new (pain-free) baby.

The following link from kellymom.com will give you more info on reflux
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Interesting, my dr. told me that hiccups were a sign of a healthy baby. Just thought I'd add that hiccups can be benign.