Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby's grabbing hands

Default Baby's grabbing hands

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else's older (or younger for that matter!) babe has done this.....

Rob (13 months old) likes to grab,squeeze, pinch, and generally claw my right breast while he's nursing. I wondered at first if he was trying to get a faster flow (that tends to be my lower-flow breast) but he seems to be doing it regardless of if he's nursing on that side first, how full I am, how long it's been, etc.....his hand goes to the same spot like a little magnet!

No biggie, except that the area is getting quite sore, to the point where I'm a bit apprehensive about feeding him from that side! I've tried redirecting his hand, and he gets MAD MAD MAD when I do that.

Oh, and when he's on the left side, he plays with his own hair (pretty cute).

Anyone experienced this??? Did anything help? I'm getting kinda excoriated over here......

Thanks!
    Suzanne

Default Re: Baby's grabbing hands

you have described my son! I try to redirect him, and I will wear a nursing necklace which helps sometimes...sometimes he would rather nurse the necklace!

There's definately been previous posts on this. It looks like almost all our children do this and yes it hurts! And no, I don't know how to stop it! Only, again, distraction works better than pulling the hand away because mine gets furious too.

Even though he is so young, you need to explain to him why you don't want him to do it. "it hurts me when you do that". Mez used to do the same thing and I just had to keep explaining to him over and over again that he wasn't allowed to do that because it hurt me. I can't remember but I might have told him that if he does it again, I would have to put him down. He learned after a while. He started doing it again when he was older. I again explained to him why it was not okay. It continued and actually, to this day, I still cover my other nipple with my hand while he nurses to protect it. This is the only way I can stop him. A friend of mine has the same problem. She somehow allows it because she can't stop it. Her nipple is often bleeding because her child digs his nails in. I don't know how she can nurse him from that side.

-Lauren

Thanks for the support ladies....yeah, I do explain that it hurts mommy and move his hand, but he doesn't get it (heck, my almost 4-year old doesn't get that sometimes!)....of course developmentally I wouldn't expect him to yet. Ever seen kittens kneading their mom while they nurse? I think it's like that for him. Almost instinctive "cozy with mommy" behavior.

A nursing necklace! What a brilliant idea! I ordered one, let's see if that helps....

My daughter often pinches my breast while nursing. I've never been able to stop her, but tonight I think I may have stumbled onto something that diverts her. She was carrying around an old pacifier- something she hasn't used since her infant days- and was holding it while nursing. Instead of pinching me, she squeezed the pacifier nipple, and I think because the texture was interesting and resilient, rather like skin, she accepted it as a substitute!

For some I have heard of giving the child a toy to play with in their hands as well. I always make sure I do up the bra on the opposite side, and if she tries to stick her hand in the flap, I hold the flap down. But I don't think my LO is as persistent as you describe. I have heard those nursing necklaces work well so here's hoping for you!

I have a mole the my DS keeps picking at. Yesterday it started to bleed. I tried putting a bandaid on it and he just ripped it off and started picking at it again!

Ugh, my daughter LOVES to fiddle with the opposite side and she insists on pulling my shirt up as far as possible, makes NIP a real joy. Sometimes giving her a small toy to hold helps. Sometimes it doesn't.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Quote Originally Posted by keriacat View Post
    I have a mole the my DS keeps picking at. Yesterday it started to bleed. I tried putting a bandaid on it and he just ripped it off and started picking at it again!

My ds does this too! LOL I am so ahppy to hear that he is not the only dc that likes to dig at moles and then yank off bandaids.

Another thumbs up for the nursing necklace here. It has truely been so helpful with my little guy.