Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby acne

Default baby acne

My ds, 8 wks old, has had awful baby acne for the past 3 wks or so. it's gotten progressively worse, and the past two days he's been frantically pawing at his face and scalp because it's itching. i thought it might actually be eczema. i called the ped's office, described his symptoms, and the nurse recommended aquaphor, which i applied with reckless abandon, but it only made him greasy . . . the bumps got more severe yesterday afternoon after being somewhat under control most of the day. sooooo, i took him in to be seen, and the ped told me it was baby acne. the ped told me that bf babies have more intense baby acne than ff babies because of mom's hormones passing through the milk. is this true? my first son was ebf for 14 mos, and he only had the "normal" baby acne for a couple of weeks and it never bothered him (only bothered me!). anybody have the same experience?

Default Re: baby acne

i'm not sure about that whole bf vs ff thing, sounds a little bit off to me. ds had baby acne, although not as bad as you are describing. but it did take a really long time to clear up, almost 2 months. keep him cool and dry and avoid anything with purfume. those are the only things that i can think of. hope it clears up or at least gets a bit better soon.

I guess I am not sure on the baby acne, but my dd was born with tons of hair on her ears. The ped told me it would go away but it kept growing and grown and I called my best friend, who is a pharmacist and (although she didn't breastfeed she is totally for it--her milk never came in with her twins) she said that my hormones are passed through my milk and that might be why she was retaining the hair. It sounded quirky to me, but it makes sense--if other things are passed through the milk, why not hormones? I hope your baby isn't miserable for too long!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I don't know anything about ff - but my son had some pretty awful baby acne in the third to fourth week. One day it totally cleared up and a around week 5 through 6 became awful baby exema. At that point, the Aquaphor really helped. I had terrible exema while pg and that helped me. He still gets it and since I had it as a baby too, I don't expect it to completely go away. Another thing that really helps the less severe parts is Eucerin Calming Cream. It's very thick but much less greasy. I use it on his body and save the Aquaphor for the bad spots when I put him to bed.

my dd#1 was bad with sensitive skin. Her dr called her the "little mood ring" because anything you put near hear, or she ate, she'd break out.

I fall back on good ol Vasoline after bath - head to toe. Locks in moisture. Then I use aquafore for diaper issues. For moisture i used a lot of Aveno cream - did aveno baths - washed in baby detergent for the whole family - broke my diet down to barely anything spicey or dairy and it helped.

P.S. Also hydrocortizone (1%) helped in small doses. As did Sarna lotion - it is behind the pharmacy counter but does not require a perscription.

Whether its just time or our method helped, my son's baby acne has been getting better over the last couple weeks. Our pediatrician actually said not to put a darn thing on it. All we do is wash his head and face several times a week (in addition to his once a week bath) and try to avoid his head having too much skin to skin contact so that he gets sweaty, such as with my arm during feeding or on our chest if he falls asleep.

My dd is 8 weeks tomorrow, and she's is just now getting over her baby acne. It showed up around 4 weeks, and just kept getting progressively worse. It sure did bother me more than it bothered her, but at the worst of it, she did keep pawing at her face a lot! Our pediatrician said it was pretty much just cosmetic, and would go away in time, and to do nothing for it. It was just my hormones that passed to her. (BTW, I breastfeed exclusively.)

On another note...my dd also has hair on her ears! I guess my hormones as well. Ped says it will go away in time as well.

my daughter had bad baby acne on her cheeks, scalp and even her chest.
    it showed up around 4 weeks but her dr told me to switched detergents and used a mild soap when bathing her(like dove,) and also used aquaphor for babies.

Thanks for the responses! Happy to report that DS has a clear face today! It might just be coincidence, but a couple of baths with Aveeno creamy baby wash seemed to help. And he won't stop smiling! Maybe it's because Momma is no longer looking at him with so much worry on her face!

Whew. This breakout worried me. On to the next baby drama!