Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Switching from breast to breast on his own every few minutes!

Default Switching from breast to breast on his own every few minutes!

My 8 month old son is doing just that for the past week or so! during a feeding he will be eating on the left side then sit up on his own and claw at my shirt until that breast is out too and then eat from that breast sitting up. then a couple gulps later he lays back down and eats from the left, then sits up goes to the right, back and forth back and forth!!!! Only a minute on each side or just a few gulps. Sometimes if we are laying down feeding, he will hold both together with his hands and just switch every second! Anyone know what he is doing, and what I can do to get him over this???? Its actually driving me nuts because he has to have both out, unless he is really tired and doesn't notice....and it is hard to pump one side for work when he drains them both!

Any thoughts? He also still wakes up a few times a night and he does this at night too... so its hard to get any sleep with him painfully tugging at both breasts.

Default Re: Switching from breast to breast on his own every few minutes!

I have no answers for you but share in your frustration. For my daughter anyway, I think she just likes to go to the side that has the milk is coming out fastest.

Default Re: Switching from breast to breast on his own every few minutes!

Anything that is really annoying and you don't want your baby to do longterm, consider gently redirecting. Here's a helpful resource: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...g-manners.html