Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sick mom/loss of milk

Default sick mom/loss of milk

I had a ceasaren and started breast feeding on the third day. Soon after I developed a sore under my nipple, but continued to feed. Within two weeks I had a staph infection in my face and on my thigh all presenting itself as oozing abcesses. Apparently I got the infection through the surgery for I have found the woman who went into the room before me for the same surgery and she has presented the same symptoms. I heard that a staph infection and breast feeding are linked somehow, but I am not sure what to look for. I have been on antibiotics basically since the surgery. Some stronger than others depending on wether or not I was feeding her. In the beginning 5 days, she made very normal diapers, then after I got sick she started having severe diarhea and cramping. The doctor diagnosed her with a allergic reaction and cholic and she might have been having a reaction to the amoxicillian I was taking at the time, which I was told would not have infected her.
    Now she is on a formula due to the high amount of drugs I am taking including painkillers. I just finish a 10 day dose of Levofloxacina which I know will effect my milk. Today I started and I have to complete a 5 day cycle of a cefalexina to make sure the infection has settled. I was in and out of the hospital taking cipro drips as well.
    I am not taking the pain killers for the last week to make sure they were out of my system. I am pumping during this time but my milk is sparse averaging 2 oz a day. I am not very healthy but recovering eating better and resting more now that I have a nanny in the home to help me get through this. I am a single mother on top of all this.

While breastfeeding my baby was so sick and not gaining weight. Now since formula she is so much longer and chubby and such a happier baby. I am afraid my milk was making her very sick.

My questions are:
    When can I feed her my milk again?
    How can I get my milk back to a normal flow?
    Should I keep her on the formula as well?
    Can I get my milk tested?
    Can my body handle the breastfeeding? I was told by three doctors that i am lucky to have lived through this infection.

Being a single working mom, without assistance from the father, it is important to me financially and emotionally to feed my baby my milk. I had planned to do this for the first year of her life wanting to keep her strong and to make our bond even stronger. But at this point I do not know if the breast feeding is hurting the both of us?

I live in a third world country, Domincan Republic, where I hardly speak the language, especially medical termology. As well, it will be at least 2 months before I can take my baby back home to america, if she or I get sicker for better medical care. So I want to make sure I am doing the best things and looking for the right signs. I can however get anything flown in from the USA if I cannot find it here.

Default Re: sick mom/loss of milk

Wow, woman, you've been through a lot. Hang in there, as I'm sure you're baby will benefit from such a devoted mom, no matter what kind of milk she gets. Now, if only I could take my own advice . . . . . .

I'm by no means any kind of expert whatsoever, but are you sure you can't take painkillers while nursing? I have been told otherwise . . . . I had surgery a few weeks ago and my surgeon assured me that there was no problem taking hydrocodone while nursing. He said, in fact, his wife was at home doing it too, due to a broken elbow. . . .

Get confirmation on that from one of the leaders here, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

I'm sorry you've had a rough go of things lately! I can imagine how horrible that staph infection was. But it's wonderful that you want to nurse your baby! Let's see what we can do to help you with that.

By the way, it was probably never necessary for you to stop nursing in the first place. Most drugs are compatible with breastfeeding, including most painkillers and antibiotics. If a specific drug isn't compatible then there's usually a good alternative that is.

If you'd like to give the specific names of the drugs you are taking I'd be happy to look them up in Hale's for you.

To address your specific questions:
    When can I feed her my milk again?
    How can I get my milk back to a normal flow?
    Should I keep her on the formula as well?
    Can I get my milk tested?
    Can my body handle the breastfeeding? I was told by three doctors that i am lucky to have lived through this infection.
    As I mentioned previously, it probably wasn't ever necessary to stop nursing to begin with. However, if you are taking some drugs that are contraindicated during breastfeeding then this will be important in determining when you can resume nursing again.

In all likelihood, yes you can get your milk back. As a general rule of thumb, if you've stopped nursing entirely for say, 5 days, it'll take you 5 days of near-constant nursing and/or pumping to get your milk supply back to where it was 5 days ago.

You'll need to slowly phase out the formula.

There's no reason to believe that your body isn't perfectly capable of doing what it was designed to do -- grow and nourish babies! A staph infection is nasty business but it has nothing to do with your body's ability to breastfeed.

Looking forward to your response...

Thank you so much Carol for your response. You have to remember that I live in a developing country, so any contact with a doctor here is skeptical. I called my Ob/Gyn and he told me to drink tons of water. i know that helps but I also know there is a whole lot more to this that water depletetion.

As well the baby's doctor took me off dairy, saying it was an allergic reaction. But I have also read that that usually does not present itself to commonly in actual breast milk.

I have taken 10 days of 750mg/day - Primeris - which is Levofloxacina (antibiotic) my last pill, taken yesterday morning.

I am now on 5 days of 1000mg/day - Erocetin - which is Cefalexina (antibiotic) started that today.

I was taking amoxicillin, cipro, Dolgenal (ketorolaco trometamina (pain relief)), allegra, Cataflam (diclofenac (pain relief)), Valtrex for a cold sore outbreak, and then Morphine after the surgery.

On my surgery and abscess wounds, I am using a creme of 15g/2% - Fusidic Acid (antibiotic).

I am also still taking my pregnancy vitamins (Materna), vitamin C 500mg and Calcium supplements.

I am sure all this sounds insane. It has not been a great month, and I would really like to just get back to breastfeeding as soon as possible because I have not yet have had a chance to be a mom.

The baby is on EnfamilNutramigin Lipil. I do not know if this is available in the USA. It is a special formula for allergic reactions and cholic.

Why was the baby having such bad diarrhea and cramping while I was taking amoxicillian, comsuming dairy and sick. She was so skinny, I just do not want to see here go through that again.

The doctor said that she might have been allergic to the formula she was given at birth and that she was presenting the symtoms a week or two later. I find that hard to believe.

If I can start feeding her my milk tonight I will stay up all night to do the feedings!

you know what, i don't know anything anymore. As I said this country is a bit backwards, so everything I might be told here could not be true. That is my problem. So until I get the baby's USA birth certificate, we are stuck here without american medical advice. It could be two months from now. But all in all, my only concern was the horrible gas and diarrhea my daughter had while I was breastfeeding and whether that was a link to the pills I was taking. The doctor said it was the cause but I am skeptical.

Thank you so much Carol for your response. You have to remember that I live in a developing country, so any contact with a doctor here is skeptical. I called my Ob/Gyn and he told me to drink tons of water. i know that helps but I also know there is a whole lot more to this that water depletetion.

As well the baby's doctor took me off dairy, saying it was an allergic reaction. But I have also read that that usually does not present itself to commonly in actual breast milk.

I have taken 10 days of 750mg/day - Primeris - which is Levofloxacina (antibiotic) my last pill, taken yesterday morning.

I am now on 5 days of 1000mg/day - Erocetin - which is Cefalexina (antibiotic) started that today.

I was taking amoxicillin, cipro, Dolgenal (ketorolaco trometamina (pain relief)), allegra, Cataflam (diclofenac (pain relief)), Valtrex for a cold sore outbreak, and then Morphine after the surgery.

On my surgery and abscess wounds, I am using a creme of 15g/2% - Fusidic Acid (antibiotic).

I am also still taking my pregnancy vitamins (Materna), vitamin C 500mg and Calcium supplements.

I am sure all this sounds insane. It has not been a great month, and I would really like to just get back to breastfeeding as soon as possible because I have not yet have had a chance to be a mom.

The baby is on EnfamilNutramigin Lipil. I do not know if this is available in the USA. It is a special formula for allergic reactions and cholic.

Why was the baby having such bad diarrhea and cramping while I was taking amoxicillian, comsuming dairy and sick. She was so skinny, I just do not want to see here go through that again.

The doctor said that she might have been allergic to the formula she was given at birth and that she was presenting the symtoms a week or two later. I find that hard to believe.

If I can start feeding her my milk tonight I will stay up all night to do the feedings!

I want to see you start nursing your baby again tonight too! Unfortunately I'm at work today and without my Hale's. So, what I'm going to do is send you directly to Dr. Hale's website where you can do a search for the drugs you've taken and are currently taking. You can enter the medication forums as a guest and do a search. I will also ask the other Leader's to look at your post and if they've got a copy of Hale's, to have them look the drugs up. We can't validate any drug's safety but we can give you good information. Here's the link to his website http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest .

I would agree with the doctor on this one. Sometimes artificial milk can really do a number on babies gut.

Your baby could've been having a reaction to the antibiotics that were coming in through your breastmilk. Newborns are skinny though too. Can you describe her diarrhea and symptoms to us? How did you conclude that she was having diarrhea?

I'll be back in touch soon

Thanks again Carol, I will check that site out.
    The diarrhea was first green and soft like mayanniase. Then it started thinning out and you could tell that it was very gasey for it was bubbly. Then it went dark brown like chocolate and it was presenting itself in the form of water for days. I would change her diper and she would have projectile diarreah and you could see her trying to breathe through the cramping. She would have a second of relief and then she would go right into another cramp, screaming her head off. It was like a woman in labor.

Through all this, I never saw the regular seedy poo and prior to all this, she had a seedy mustard healthy poo in the first week.

The doctor had her on a pedilyte but through all this she never dehydrated???

Now since on that formula I listed, lately she has fluctuated between the mayannaise and solid poos. It depends on her gassiness.

I don't know if this matters, I had her at 41 wks via surgery. I was contracting for 6 weeks prior without any results. The doctor forced me open 2 centimeters and she still would not come. I was leaking water over the last weekend without knowing. Then that Monday I went into the clinic to be induced, after an ultrasound, we realized the water was gone and I went right into surgery.

Prior to that at 16 weeks I had a kidney infection and was hospitalized, then before I was to leave I started have contractions. At 34 weeks the contractions started again. And ultimately at 41 wks, she was born just under 6lbs, with her head coned from me contracting on her for 6 wks.

I knew the moment I concieved her, so we had a full pre-natal care period for the 10 months.

So, I wonder how long she might suffer from all this distress, and whether this is linked to all of these issues. Minus my conditions, could her digestive track just be straighten out itself from such distress for so long as well???

Thanks again Carol, I will check that site out.
    The diarrhea was first green and soft like mayanniase. Then it started thinning out and you could tell that it was very gasey for it was bubbly. Then it went dark brown like chocolate and it was presenting itself in the form of water for days. I would change her diper and she would have projectile diarreah and you could see her trying to breathe through the cramping. She would have a second of relief and then she would go right into another cramp, screaming her head off. It was like a woman in labor.

Through all this, I never saw the regular seedy poo and prior to all this, she had a seedy mustard healthy poo in the first week.

The doctor had her on a pedilyte but through all this she never dehydrated???

Now since on that formula I listed, lately she has fluctuated between the mayannaise and solid poos. It depends on her gassiness.

I don't know if this matters, I had her at 41 wks via surgery. I was contracting for 6 weeks prior without any results. The doctor forced me open 2 centimeters and she still would not come. I was leaking water over the last weekend without knowing. Then that Monday I went into the clinic to be induced, after an ultrasound, we realized the water was gone and I went right into surgery.

Prior to that at 16 weeks I had a kidney infection and was hospitalized, then before I was to leave I started have contractions. At 34 weeks the contractions started again. And ultimately at 41 wks, she was born just under 6lbs, with her head coned from me contracting on her for 6 wks.

I knew the moment I concieved her, so we had a full pre-natal care period for the 10 months.

So, I wonder how long she might suffer from all this distress, and whether this is linked to all of these issues. Minus my conditions, could her digestive track just be straighten out itself from such distress for so long as well???

One more question..
    How long do any drugs present themselves in breast milk? Should I be worried about soemthing I took last week, yesterday, or is it just at that day???