Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preparing for #2

Question preparing for #2

Hi! I am having my #2 DD in July!! I have a 16 month old now--and we just finished nursing a few months ago b/c she weaned herself. She was a emergency c-section, so this time is a repeat c-section. Can I prepare myself to nurse, I mean, bring in my milk before baby comes? I just feel like with a c-section, my body wont know to produce milk asap, it happened with my #1 DD and she lost weight and my milk did not come in for almost a week! I would just like to have milk for her when she comes and get her nice and full, if I can.
    Any ideas?

Julia

Default Re: preparing for #2

HI Julia! There isnt much you can do to prepare your body for nursing. You can only prepare your mind. I suggest borrowing bf'ing books from the library or even buying one.

After you give birth and the placenta seperates, then your body will start producing milk. You can produce colostrum before birth though.

I nursed my eldest through my second's pregnancy and he pretty much 'dry-nursed' the entire time. My breasts did not produce milk again until 3 days after the new baby came.

Have you looked into a VBAC?

Try to remember- babies are born with enough fat stores to survive on colstrum alone for up to 10 days! It is okay and completely normal for a baby to loose weight after birth.

Good luck!!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html
    heres a link...
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/cesarean.html

don't be afraid to check out your Local LLL group, get to know your local leader before the baby is born, that way if you run into problems you'll have somebody to call right away.
    Most healthy full tern babies do not need suppliments.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/colostrum.html
    I like this link it shows how big a newborns tummy is.
    You can breastfeed this baby!

Not sure if this is true or not, but my LC at the hospital told me that with subsequent babies, your milk "comes in" often sooner than it did with your first. For me, my milk came in around the 36 hour mark with my 3rd baby, whereas it was on day 4 with my twins the first time around.

Lisa

Hi there!

Congratulations on your expected new baby

Can I prepare myself to nurse, I mean, bring in my milk before baby comes?
    As the PPs have said, there's no way to bring your milk in before the baby comes. Your body starts producing colostrum, usually during your second trimester. Some mothers will leak during this time, others will not. Colostrum is baby's first (and very important) food.

I just feel like with a c-section, my body wont know to produce milk asap, it happened with my #1 DD and she lost weight and my milk did not come in for almost a week!
    When the placenta seperates from the uterus, a chemical reaction occurs in the body which starts the production of milk. For most mothers this takes about 3 days, though it takes longer for others. I have heard c-section mothers say that they feel it takes their milk a bit longer to come in. However, many mothers also report that the milk comes in more quickly with a second pregnancy.

It's very normal for babies to lose some weight after birth. As long as they don't lose more than 10% of their birth weight, it's usually not a concern. Because you are having a c-section, you will get IV fluids, and this can cause your baby to gain some "water weight" which is quickly lost after delivery as well.

I would just like to have milk for her when she comes and get her nice and full, if I can.
    It's important to note that baby will have a very, very small stomach immediately after birth. See the link on colostrum above for a diagram of baby's stomach capacity. A newborn has a stomach that is about the size of a marble. Colostrum is the perfect first food for your baby and will fill her up. However, don't be surprised when she wants to nurse very frequently. This is normal and baby's way of helping your milk come in! Here is an article that can help you decide if your baby is getting enough to eat:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/enough.html

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Do you mind my asking why you have to have a cesarean this time around? Is it something that your doctor told you? Is it because of the type of incision you had with your first? Is it just routine in your area?

The reason I ask is this: I am a certified doula. I have done a lot of reading on this topic, and the studies and evidence plainly show that it is SIGNIFICANTLY safer to VBAC than it is to have a repeat cesarean. Safer for mom, safer for baby. Safer in terms of infection, injury, post partum complications, and death. If you'd like a link to studies that show this, let me know and I'll post or pm it to you.

Now, if you wanted to VBAC, the best ways to be successful at that are to 1) take an OUT of hospital childbirth education class, like a Bradley class. and 2) hire a doula. Yes, yes, you might think that that is self serving to say. But really, the statistics show that a woman who has a doula in attendance is 50% more likely to VBAC. And a woman who takes a Bradley class is 90% less likely to have a cesarean. Those two things together make your chances of a sucessful VBAC significantly higher than if you "go it alone!" If your doctor simply doesn't do VBAC, I would highly suggest going here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=76 , clicking on your state, and posting, asking for a practitioner in your area who DOES VBAC. If one exists, they'll help you find them! Checking out the ican website is a great idea, too, and a really helpful resource if you want to consider VBAC.

Assuming you don't want to or aren't able to VBAC, studies have shown that in some hospitals, cesarean patients' milk DOES come in more slowly after cesarean section...but that is ALMOST ALWAYS because of how mom and baby are treated in the immediate post partum period. Many times, moms and babies are kept separate for long periods of time. Then, they're "allowed" to nurse...but only for a short while, because both mom and baby are probably tired. THen, if your partner can not stay with you at night, the baby is brought to the nursery. Many, many nurserys act in a way that is detrimental to the nursing relationship. Either they don't understand what the NON crying signs are for a baby who wants to nurse, or they simply decide for mom that they'll give the baby a bottle to let mom rest. Doing this robs mom's breasts of the stimulation that it needs to bring the milk in faster. In fact, a GREAT way to be sure that your milk comes in sooner rather than later is to put that baby on your chest, skin to skin (and I do mean with both of you just in diaper and bra, with blankets covering shoulders and baby), and LEAVE baby there till you leave the hospital. More baby is on your skin, the more that baby will want to nurse. The more frequently the baby nurses and gets that beautiful colostrum, the sooner your milk will come in.

Please avail yourself of the wealth of knowledge on this site and in several really great books on the topic, including but not exclusively The Nursing Mother's companion and the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. They'll explain things to you like what to look for in cues to tell that your baby is ready to nurse before they cry. Also, that your baby WILL want to nurse frequently in the beginning, sometimes it may even cluster feed, for a few HOURS at a time, usually before it takes a nice long nap...anthropologically this serves to stimulate your milk supply and to "tank up" or store up a few extra calories for a long snooze! THis is completely normal! Many well meaning nurses or family members will say things like, "Oh, that baby is so big! Of course it's nursing all the time--you can't possibly be making enough milk to feed it!" Or the opposite, "Oh, your baby is too small (or even a preemie), your milk isn't calorie dense enough to feed that baby what it needs!" Both of those statements are false. Please know that only a teeny-TINY fraction of the human population can not supply enough milk for their own children, if the breast is stimulated properly.

So, breastfeed often, on demand. Stay skin to skin in the hospital, to encourage this to happen. Let your visitors know that you will be doing this and that you will be nursing. If they're not comfortable watching you nurse let them know that it's acceptable for them to leave the room when the baby needs to nurse (ie: not when they're ready to leave, but when the baby is asking to nurse, and there is often a gap here!)Know what "on demand" means. Don't watch a clock--EVER! DO watch your baby's wet and poopy diapers. Look here for a chart to help you make sure the wets and poopies are there: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...oughmilk01.pdf They are the BEST determining factor as to whether your baby is getting enough to eat at your breast, whether your milk has come in or not. REMEMBER that your COLOSTRUM is VERY valuable, VERY dense in calories and fat (and TONS of antibodies), and will feed your baby just fine until your body does determine that your baby no longer needs the colostrum and brings the milk in. Let your baby latch itself off. There is no such thing as spoiling a newborn--once it is DONE getting the skin to skin contact it needs to build nerves and the calories it needs to grow EVERYTHING, it will latch off. Babies who are "just hanging out" really DO need something from you...even if it's one calorie every five minutes...their bodies are smart. If they dont need to nurse any longer, they latch off. Not every baby nurses every time because they're HUNGRY, but sometimes to stimulate the milk supply, somtimes because it's thirsty, and sometimes because it needs skin to skin contact to decompress, to build nerve synapases, or even just to bond with you.

You can do it!
    Last edited by mammamayI; April 23rd, 2007 at 06:53 PM.

This mom was asking about breastfeeding NOT vbac vs. c-section. She has made a decision with her doctor on the birth of her baby. It is not right, or supportive to question that decision with a lengthy dissertation.

OP - Put your baby to breast as soon as possible and often. I had a c-section (and vag) with my twins and still have tons of milk at 22 mos

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had a C-section and they brought my DD to me immediately in recovery so I could start breastfeeding. My milk came in 3 days later. I would make sure to let the hospital know that you want to breastfeed and ask their policy about breastfeeding right after a C-section. Good luck!