Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latch problems @ 10weeks?

Default latch problems @ 10weeks?

I'm not sure if he's forgotten how of just gotten lazy. But, for about a week or so, my baby has become very fidgety at the breast and at most feedings it becomes very difficult to get him to latch on properly. He opens his mouth but starts moving it before I can get him on so that it's hard to get a good mouthful. Then once I do get him on, he'll suck but gradually let himself off and try to get to the nipple. Then we have to start all over again.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but he's spent three nights waking every two hours to eat like he hans't done since he was new. And one night in between he went 7 hours between meals! Im exhausted and engorged now most of the time. Is there anything I can do?

I was just starting to get comfortable enough to go out and NIP if I had to. But I can't manage this in public and he dosen't need the distraction.
    Last edited by pipsmom; April 6th, 2006 at 12:00 PM.

Default Re: latch problems @ 10weeks?

That sounds frustrating. Once a baby knows how to latch and nurse properly, one would think he would just keep doing it!

My son's latch always changed for the worse when he was teething -- and his pre-teething behavior did start pretty young, maybe 3 or 4 months. Slipping down to the nipple or rubbing his gums sorta sideways is one classic sign -- he's trying to use the breast as a teether, which a) hurts! and b) doesn't work to transfer milk well.

The frequent nursing interspersed with extra-long sleep stretches just sounds like a growth spurt to me.

Just to check -- is he getting any artificial nipples at all? It's not too late to develop nipple confusion/preference.

--Rebecca

Default Re: latch problems @ 10weeks?

huh - he has also been furiously rubbing his face. I though it was exema bothering him, but he could be trying to reach his gums. He was downright biting my DH's finger the other day. Could he really be starting teething at two and half months? oh that's scary.

We give him a bottle about once a week, just to make sure he'll take it when we need him too. We've been doing that since about three weeks and he never seemed to have a problem with it. I'd like him to take a pacifier to save his poor hands from all the sucking he does, but he isn't very interested in it. I don't know if that's it, though, because I have a hard let down and plenty of milk. He seems to get it very quickly and easily. In fact, he's been nursing so frequently the past several days that I'm so full that he's doesn't really have to work for it. He squirted himself in the eye this morning because he pulled off at the beginning. I thought he deserved it for playing with his food.
    Last edited by pipsmom; April 6th, 2006 at 08:18 PM.