Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: changes in color of areola?

Default changes in color of areola?

I just noticed a dramatic change in the color of my areola and was wondering why this would happen? They were much darker and now they are very pale, almost the same color as my pale skin.
    Does anyone know why this would happen? Shouldn't my hormones make them stay dark? Could it mean the hormones I need are decreasing????

Default Re: changes in color of areola?

As long as your baby is getting around 5-6 wet diapers and you are seeing somewhere around 2-3 poops in a 24 hours period, I wouldn't worry about the color of your nipple. Everyone is different, and it could be a hormonal fluctuation, but it may not effect your milk producing at all. Are you sure it isn't just a little nipple blanching? This can happen when the baby is latching shallowly. I will get you a link in a sec. hold on.
    ok, check here for nipple blanching.

I have read posts from at least two women on this board who's nipples became very pale after giving birth and beginning to breastfeed. I think it is just a hormonal change. Mine were dark brown and are now light pink. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    I have read posts from at least two women on this board who's nipples became very pale after giving birth and beginning to breastfeed. I think it is just a hormonal change. Mine were dark brown and are now light pink. HTH!
    Me! My areola's were very pink pre-pg, they started turning dark (esp. the edges) during pg, and after I delivered DS they started turning... almost translucent, KWIM? They are pretty much the color of my skin now. My DS is 8 months old and we haven't had any major problems with BFing. Our bodies do weird things sometimes...
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Mine are light now too. When I was pregnant, they turned darker, slowly since nursing, they have turned very light. I agree with pp, it is probably the loss of the pregnancy hormones. My lo is 9 mo old and we haven't had any major nursing problems.

Question Re: changes in color of areola?

What about if the nipple color hasn't changed but the areola color did?

We had difficulties with breastfeeding our first lo. After 4 weeks I switched to pumping hoping to feed it after some of the issues had settled down. After a few weeks my breasts would sometimes become tender and the areolas became very pale. They slowly darkened slightly between pregnancies, but quickly paled again when we started breastfeeding the second lo. After the second the areolas remained rather pale.

We are now expecting our third in Oct '07. We only breastfed 4 weeks with our first and 3 weeks with the second. I was given an LLL book on long term loan from a friend and have much information to deal with different problems we had with each, but this now permanent color change does still concern me. My OB says he sees no problems and not to be concerned.

I'm looking into local lactation consultants and LLL groups. Any information the forum members can offer is appreciated.