Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chamomile tea?

Default Chamomile tea?

I know you are not supposed to drink it during pregnancy... Does the same hold true while EBF? Why ? I have some just sitting in the cupboard waiting for me to drink it. I used to use it to help me relax at night... I would love to be able to do that again...but baby comes first. TIA for responses

Default Re: Chamomile tea?

Quote Originally Posted by soon2bemomagain View Post
    I know you are not supposed to drink it during pregnancy... Does the same hold true while EBF? Why ? I have some just sitting in the cupboard waiting for me to drink it. I used to use it to help me relax at night... I would love to be able to do that again...but baby comes first. TIA for responses
    Wow, I'm drinking a cup right now. I'm not sure why I couldn't drink it while BFing. I've read in a book that its a good thing to drink....
    What is the reasoning behind avoiding it when PG? Hopefully someone comes by with a good answer for you.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

they make homeopathic things for babies with chamomile in them. i have gripe water and teething tablets, both with chamomile. imo it is ok to drink the tea. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

bump. are there any leaders with an answer to this?

I don't know where most of you live, but if you are allergic to Ragweed make sure you stay away from Chamomile. I'm highly allergic to Ragweed and didn't know until a couple of years ago that Chamomile is a sister weed to it. I forgot about that and used a product with Chamomile with my LO, and realized the mistake when she quickly got itchy eyes and a stuffy nose.
    Unfortunately it looks like she developed my allergy to it also.

Just FYI.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

I think I remember reading that chamomile tea can cause uterine contractions? I don't know, but I remember seeing that it should be avoided during pregnancy.

Sherri H is right on target. The reason being is a possible allergy to ragweed which is actually very common. I would say try it and see if LO seems to have a reaction. It might be hard to detect, watch for fussiness, gass, or even a rash/hives. My LO has a slight reaction to it, I found green tea caffiene free works better for us.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

chamomile is ok to have during bf..