Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another blood draw for feritin levels?

Default Re: Another blood draw for feritin levels?

[quote=Mia'sMom;174770]I told her my reasons for not doing so and told her that the iron was poorly absorbed, etc. She looked at me like I had 3 heads and all she could say was actually the AAP recommends cereal for iron for all bf babies.quote]

yes, much the same for me....and like i said, she made me 'promise' to try cereal everyday for 3 weeks to avoid another blood draw right away...looking back i wish i hadnt....but it was one of those quick rushed dr phonecalls kwim??
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

I really hate that. I mean it seems like Most peds are looking for the quick, easy answer, kwim? Like cereals in the baby isle are the highest thing in iron, so that's what they recommend. You don't have to shop in the baby isle for baby's food. From reading labels on foods marketed for babies, I have found they are very low in nutritional value. When I asked my ped what foods were high in iron, she simply said, "besides cereal, I don't know." I couldn't believe that response. She did not say I will find out for you or anything like that. Just I don't know. I meant to bring a list to her but forgot. It's sad though the lack of effort parents and doctors are willing to put into nutrition when that is one the most important aspects of our health. IMO, promises were meant to be broken. And you need to do what YOU feel is best for his health. Now, I don't think the cereal will hurt him or cause any problems if you decide to go on with that for 3 weeks, but if you don't want to give it, simply don't.

you know whats funny? the pedi had a sheet sent to me with high iron foods! it wasnt all that correct either
    anyway, i think pedis choose the easy way out because so many parents do too.....they probly know its a waste of time to coach people on the foods and stuff since realistically not a very high percentage of parents would even care to follow it!
    also, something funny....got a packet from gerber in the mail since thier little computer mustve flagged them that i now have a toddler....heres some of their stats..
    ~on a given day 25-30% of infants and toddlers 9-24months do not eat any fruit...20-25% dont eat veggies
    ~french fries are the most commonly consumed vegetable for toddlers 15-24 months!
    i think this is the norm....people (even family) always make comments and make fun of me for the way i feed austin
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

This is a link that I was sent a while back when I was trying to bring up LOs iron levels

http://http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm#table1

We did supplement but along with the iron rich diet his levels were acceptable to Dr. at one year appt.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

hmm the link didnt work for me

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    you know whats funny? the pedi had a sheet sent to me with high iron foods! it wasnt all that correct either
    anyway, i think pedis choose the easy way out because so many parents do too.....they probly know its a waste of time to coach people on the foods and stuff since realistically not a very high percentage of parents would even care to follow it!
    also, something funny....got a packet from gerber in the mail since thier little computer mustve flagged them that i now have a toddler....heres some of their stats..
    ~on a given day 25-30% of infants and toddlers 9-24months do not eat any fruit...20-25% dont eat veggies
    ~french fries are the most commonly consumed vegetable for toddlers 15-24 months!
    i think this is the norm....people (even family) always make comments and make fun of me for the way i feed austin
    I believe those percentages and frankly am surprised they aren't higher. My Mom respects me but doesn't understand completely and ALL my other family thinks I am a wacko. I try to be laid back a little now that she is getting older when we are out for dinner and such, because I don't want my kids to think you can't endulge every now and then, kwim? And that's why I say the cereal isn't going to do harm, really, if you are just doing it for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post
    I believe those percentages and frankly am surprised they aren't higher. My Mom respects me but doesn't understand completely and ALL my other family thinks I am a wacko. I try to be laid back a little now that she is getting older when we are out for dinner and such, because I don't want my kids to think you can't endulge every now and then, kwim? And that's why I say the cereal isn't going to do harm, really, if you are just doing it for 3 weeks.
    right...but iwould assume she will say keep it up! ahhh who knows!