Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another blood draw for feritin levels?

Default Another blood draw for feritin levels?

dr just called and said they want to schedule another blood draw since austins iron was low (10.3 so not THAT low right??) they want to check his feritin levels (stored iron levels) so they can decide if he should get an iron supplement....
    is this really necessary?? i would rather not put him through another blood draw......i asked if we could try to up it with diet and they said well we can discuss different strategies when they do the blood draw....well....thats what im trying to avoid!!
    miasmom, i know you just went through this....how is it going for you?
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Default Re: Another blood draw for feritin levels?

Hi Blessedbee,
    This link to kellymom (non-LLL site) has some info about iron.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

If you scroll down there's a section about "What if my baby's iron levels have been checked and are TOO LOW?" and a chart to show normal levels at different ages.

Maybe this info will help you decide what to do?

Keep us posted,
    Mary

thanks for the link! i had read the bottom portion of that earlier today....but the top portion has some very interesting info on why bfing exclusively for the first six months and NOT starting cereal as some pedis suggest at 4 months is So important.
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

My dd level was 5 on a finger pick.. We got some liquid iron at the health food store. They brand they carried is this one.
    http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ucts/r4771.asp
    they have some that doesn't have honey if your baby is under a year old.

we also got the double blood tests. I was so upset.. and the dumb thing the lab messed up her sample so... she got the 3rd set of blood tests with in a month. WE got a trip to the blood specialst and the only thing she told me was to wean her and make her take the iron drops. Well she just spit thoose out so thats when we asked around and found out about the floradix.
    One of the moms who came to my LLL group hubby is a natural cirpractic doctor and that the iron suppliment they gave their kids.
    He'll have a higher reading next time.
    Try and get him to eat more meat also.. I got my dd lots of lean beef steak to eat. Yummy and it was something that she would eat.
    And pump the vitiam c it helps.
    heres something from dr sears
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

thanks andrea! i just dont understand why he needs to be tested again before we can give him something like the floradix......OR just let me try with diet first! ive followed some info from mia'smoms thread....up the vitamin c like you said and also not iving him dairy at the same time..... he has been eating iron rich foods, but not alongside vitamin c really so hopefully that will make the difference....but really....10.3 isnt so low to warrent another blood draw i dont think...

Sorry, I missed this and just caught it. I am not sure if you have already been through the second draw yet, but I say refuse it for at least a month. You are right, it's not that low. Another factor, I just learned is that through growth spurts, the iron level could be lower. Mia was a 10 and as I said, I increased her iron rich foods, always give with vitamin c, even if Juice is all we have, I give her a little watered down. Avoid the dairy for a half hour before or after. If it's not higher in a month or so, then you look at going to a supplement. I think that the natural way is best. Don't worry too much and it's great to prove drs wrong. I wanted to do an "I told you so" dance when Mia's iron levels were a 12 the next time. lol

did your dr recommend cereal too? so you think its ok to Not do the cereal?? did they ever talk about ferritin levels to you? thanks for responding...i know you just recently went through it too!

My DS2 had low iron at his nine month visit. 8.5 with the heel stick that they did in the office. They sent us to the lab for a blood draw for at least a couple of reasons that I know of:

1. To confirm office results
    2. Rule out something more serious. The blood draw in the lab was CBC and ritic (sp?) count

It is not pleasant but I recommend getting the blood draw. You want to know if there is something more serious to be concerned about. Don't you? We recently had a niece diagnosed with TTP so I felt particularly so. Fortunately, DS is doing well and we had brought his levels up to 11.3 by 12 month visit with diet and iron supplement. He is off the supplement now and we will just do a heel stick at 15mo. visit to make sure that the levels are staying up.

Best of luck with your decision.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

oh yeah, i definately would want to know! and rule other things out too....i wasnt really schooled that low iron Could be caused by other things than just not getting enough....i agreed to the 2nd blood draw, but then the dr backed down and called me back and said give it 3 weeks of cereal every morning even though she knows i dont like 'processed foood'

I did not do the cereal and yes she recommended it and I told her my reasons for not doing so and told her that the iron was poorly absorbed, etc. She looked at me like I had 3 heads and all she could say was actually the AAP recommends cereal for iron for all bf babies. I did egg/watermelon or egg/orange every morning, chicken, o's, whole grain pasta, rice, etc every day and I ate it too. Best wishes. Keep us posted.