Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush/Immunity in breastmilk

Default Thrush/Immunity in breastmilk

I have seen several things about thrush through some of the posts, and feel kind of silly asking, especially since dd & I have already had it once (dr caught it, I though it was just milk in her mouth) but how can you tell? DD always looks like she has some milk in her mouth, she pulls off a lot during feeding but it is usually distraction related. I have some pain sometimes but usually after a night of bad latching (we cosleep so I don't see her latch) and at the end of the week after 5 days of pumping 20 min 3xday 5 day/week. Is there something else that would give me hints if she has thrush again. I would hate to take her to the pedi over nothing, the office is always full of sick kids and she seems to catch everything she comes in contact with. I was also curious about that, I thought that bf babies were supposed to be way healthier than formula babies. I bf both dd and ds (dd never got formula but ds did due to birth problems and supply issues) and always thought that ds got sick so easily because I didn't exclusively bf him. But dd is and she still gets sick real easy. Could there something wrong with my milk that it doesn't provide the immunities it is supposed to or is it just because she goes to daycare? Thanks in advance!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Default Re: Thrush/Immunity in breastmilk

one of the signs of thrush can be a diaper rash (small red bumps as opposed to the red allergy ring). that plus sore nipples, not latch related, and white patches inside the mouth that don't go away are all signs. Apparently gasiness can also be a sign. as far as my experiences with immunity goes dd was ff and in child care from 6 weeks on and she had lots of health problems and ds is bf and has never been in child care. but i don't think bf is the main difference, i think it is more likely the child care. i wouldn't be concerned, it is a pretty normal part of their bodies adjusting to being around so many other people

I thought that bf babies were supposed to be way healthier than formula babies. I bf both dd and ds (dd never got formula but ds did due to birth problems and supply issues) and always thought that ds got sick so easily because I didn't exclusively bf him. But dd is and she still gets sick real easy. Could there something wrong with my milk that it doesn't provide the immunities it is supposed to or is it just because she goes to daycare?
    Chances are if you hadn't breastfed your daughter, she'd be even more prone to illness than she already is. Breastfeeding does protect our babies from illness but it does not offer 100% immunity to all viruses and diseases. I breastfed DS2 much longer than DS1 and it's DS1 who has the immune system of steel! LOL Daycare has a LOT to do with illness. The bottom line is that children in daycare get sick more often.

No worries - there is nothing wrong with your breastmilk!

My understanding is that the immunity comes from you if you've come into contact with it yourself, you build the immunity and pass to her. So she is most likely picking up stuff in daycare where you aren't coming into contact with the virus yourself. Ever notice that if you have a cold your little one may not get anything at all, but if your dh or other children have something and you don't that your little one gets it full blown. Make sense?

That is what I was thinking, but one of my co-workers had made a comment about how much work I missed due to ds and dd being sick and she thought that bfing was supposed to make them healthier. I guess she just kind of shook my confidence. Thank you so much for restoring it!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Smile Re: Thrush/Immunity in breastmilk

That's what we are all here for.