Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! My breast hurts!

Default Help! My breast hurts!

My LO is five months and i've been exclusively pumping for three. This morning I woke up and my left breast is so tender, especially around the armpit area toward the aerola but not on the aerola. (excuse my spelling) I thought I felt some lumps so I started to pump even longer. Now, it feels like a tender mass.
    It's Saturday so my doctor is not available.
    What can I do? Does this sound like a plug duct or something worse?
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: Help! My breast hurts!

It sounds like it's probably a plugged duct. That you went from feeling lumps to feeling a softer mass makes me think that, as the plugged areas are usually noticeably softer after nursing/pumping. Keep pumping frequently, and moistening the nipple of the affected breast with a warm washcloth before pumping, and it will probably resolve pretty quickly. However, if you start to feel feverish, or have flu-like symptoms, deep breast tenderness, or inflammation, you may want to go see your doctor and get checked out for mastitis.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    It sounds like it's probably a plugged duct. That you went from feeling lumps to feeling a softer mass makes me think that, as the plugged areas are usually noticeably softer after nursing/pumping. Keep pumping frequently, and moistening the nipple of the affected breast with a warm washcloth before pumping, and it will probably resolve pretty quickly. However, if you start to feel feverish, or have flu-like symptoms, deep breast tenderness, or inflammation, you may want to go see your doctor and get checked out for mastitis.
    Thanks! I've been using the warm wash cloths. I've checked to see if I have a fever and I don't. I'm hoping its just a plugged duct.

How long does it take to get rid of a plugged duct?

Quote Originally Posted by ielarran View Post
    Thanks! I've been using the warm wash cloths. I've checked to see if I have a fever and I don't. I'm hoping its just a plugged duct.

How long does it take to get rid of a plugged duct?
    It can be very variable. Mine usually resolve in a day or two. Other people have them hang around for a week or more... I think the more frequently you pump and the more you can really soak your breast in warm water, the faster things will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    It can be very variable. Mine usually resolve in a day or two. Other people have them hang around for a week or more... I think the more frequently you pump and the more you can really soak your breast in warm water, the faster things will improve.
    Thanks, I feel 95 percent better. I'm not tender to the touch like yesterday.