Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Probiotics

Default Probiotics

Do you give your LO probiotics? I've had some people suggest them for Daniel's tummy troubles. I've heard suggestions to break open a probiotic capsule and dab a bit of the powder on your nipples before breastfeeding. Anyone heard this?
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Probiotics

no but i've heard to dip your finger in it and let baby suck it off or just awipe it on his tongue.
    whatever is easier/more comfortable for you
    also i've heard recommended bifidus for babies, more than they need acidolphilus (though bith are beneficial)
    hth
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

I'm not sure what tummy troubles you are talking about, but my baby did great with probiotics. He has food allergies, and had chronic diarrhea. The probiotics really helped.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

I actually started taking acidopholous (a probiotic) myself and it has made a HUGE difference in my daughter. She used to have a lot of gas and her toots were that awful rotten egg smell....since I've been taking it she's much less tooty and they don't smell NEARLY as bad.

I take them myself and recently bought some especially for children up to age 4 that you can mix in bottles of water, juice, milk, whatever.

Yes, I take probiotics for myself, but just acidopholis. Going to the health food store today, will look for a child's version. How much do I give him? And does it mess with the intestinal flora that we are working so hard to preserve by EBFing for the first 6 months?

Thanks!
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)