Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help! Should I supplement or is he okay?

Default Please help! Should I supplement or is he okay?

I never thought I would ask that, but when you think your baby is hungry its hard to know what to do.
    My 3.5 month old son hasn't gained any weight in the last three weeks. In fact, I think he has lost a few ounces. He started sleeping through the night around when he turned 3 months, so I think maybe he was sleeping alot when he should have been having a growth spurt and my milk didn't catch up? That's the only thing I can think. I don't think I'm making enough milk now or something. He is still having wet and dirty diapers - in fact he pooped twice today. I use cloth diapers, so I am very sure of this. He usually nurses to sleep around 8 and for the last 45 minutes I've been nursing him and doing compressions trying to get each drop out, but he is still acting really hungry. Should I give him a bit of formula? I really don't want to. But if he's hungry... I don't have any pumped milk because no matter how hard I try the most milk I can pump is 2 oz. I am really frustrated. I would go to the local LLL meeting but there isn't another one for 3 weeks. My husband says I should give him a bottle but I don't want to perpetuate the problem and I really don't want him to give him formula. If anyone can advise me I really need support. Thanks...

Default Re: Please help! Should I supplement or is he okay?

you can call your local leader and talk to her between meetings shes around to help...
    Sometimes you just have to put the baby to the breast more often.
    get lots of skin to skin contact.

Hi! I agree with Andrea- call your local LLL! Even if there's no meeting, perhaps they can recommend someone to talk to or to come and look things over. There's no substitute for having someone evaluate your situation in person. Regarding the pumping, were you getting 2 oz in a session after nursing, or before? Because 2 oz after nursing is actually quite good!

Pumping with a really good pump is a great way to increase your supply. If you pump after nursing, you're making sure that you're fully draining the breast, and thereby stimulating production.

I don't have any advice on whether or not to break out the formula. I would say to follow your heart, and keep nursing as frequently as possible. Hope things get better soon!

Thank you. I was having a meltdown moment, but it passed. I did break out the formula, but my baby was too smart and refused it. He finally, just now, two hours after his bedtime, went to sleep nursing. My baby doesn't have any schedule whatsoever, but does fall asleep at the same time each night. I was just really worried when he wouldnt sleep and was acting hungry. I think I will call a LLL leader if he doesn't start gaining weight soon.

Oh, and two ounces is all I get period. Like, four hours after nursing. In the middle of the night when I feel totally engorged, I get an ounce from each side. I am using Pump In Style, but I just can't seem to increase the output. This all just happened in the last couple of weeks since he started sleeping 10+ hours at night, right around his 3 month birthday. It's just very frustrating. Thanks again for your responses.

2 and a half ounces is all I get at noon at work when I haven't nursed since 6:30 in the morning. Some women are just like that. It's pretty typical, especially if you exclusively breastfeed. This has nothing to do with your supply. I would pump the 2 oz whenever I could and save it in those 2 oz increments in the freezer. Then, when you did need it, you would have a little back.

As to his acting hungry, are you sure he's not having his growth spurt now? If he's willing to nurse, I'd just let him nurse as often as he wanted. If he continued to act hungry, let him nurse more if he's willing.

Hugs. It can be so frightening when you're not sure they're getting enough to eat.

I was wondering how you were measuring whether or not he has gained. Is this on a doctor's scale or do you have a baby scale at home? Unless you are using the same scale every time and it is a scale designed for babies, I might question the results you are getting when you weigh your baby. I know some people will try to weigh their baby by standing on an adult scale and holding the baby, I have found that method to be extremely inaccurate. Just wanted to throw that out there in case it has a bearing on anything. If you are weighing with a baby scale and you know the scale is accurate, then I would consult with a leader or an LC. A 3 month old should gain some weight in a period of 3+ weeks and if there is an issue with your supply (or possibly even latch?) then the leader or LC can advise you on how to improve it.

My best suggestion is simply to offer to nurse more frequently. That will help his weight gain, and in turn, your production.

If his weight gain dropped off after he started sleeping through the night, and he was waking to eat at night previously, chances are that it is the decreased OVERALL milk intake that is the issue. How would you feel about offering to nurse more during the day, and if that isn't helping enough, waking him one time at night to nurse?