Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help! (solids and other related)

Exclamation Need help! (solids and other related)

First of all let me say I'm in no hurry to wean! BUT I am worried my baby isn't getting enough with just my milk anymore. He's 13 mos old. And he just does NOT want to eat, he'll have a couple lil bites here & there but not enough of a variety either! Cheese & bread YES PLEASE! Pastas yea usually... and *hangs head in shame* french fries on occasion (as long as they aren't greasy) ugh He also still won't take a cup of anything. Like I said not in a hurry, but I just want him to start taking in more, also I'd like to be able to leave him with my Mom this summer for a day here or there when we go up to visit so I can take hubby out & show him the city and so on... but I can't do that if he's still refusing almost everything but the boob! lol Should I start giving him vitamins? I need advice! Also this is not really related to solids but I need advice in dealing with family members who insist on annoying me with "you should really wean, he IS over a year you know... so on..." I am running out of "comebacks" LOL

Anyhow thanks for reading!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Default Re: Need help! (solids and other related)

Your post could have been written by me, word for word. Here's my two cents, but if I had all the answers, my son wouldn't be in the same situation.

1) What I say is that I will wean him when he's ready. I also remind them that my milk is still the best food for him and that I'm not about to starve a baby who isn't growing well enough as it is and who still won't eat solids. I also thank them for their advice.

2) I've started taking my son to Early Intervention (through the school system) to teach him to eat. They've done the initial evaluation, but nothing more yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

My son likes liquids from an open cup tilted into his mouth much better than from a bottle or sippy cup. If you haven't tried that yet (I'm sure you have), you might want to. Not that your son is the same kid as mine, of course.

Yeah he'll take a cup sometimes but of course we have to hold it or it goes upside down LOL

let me know how that goes!

And yeah I tell people that too, and they say don't worry when he gets hungry he'll eat! excuse me? and what if he DOESN'T want to eat the solids still? And how about the fact he's not ready to wean, I am not going to deny him what he loves and change our relationship probably for the worse!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

Hi there mama - I just realised I forgot to reply to your pm on DS I read it through my email and keep meaning to reply through there... oops. I'll do it through here. okay!

so to your thread... for the cup - have you tried the ones with straws??? DS LOVES his and there's no turning it upside down. THey have them now that don't spill too. I got mine at Target.

fas for combacks. just dont bother with something clever. You could educate them on extended breastfeeding, or do like the PP said - thats a nice reply. Or just reply, "okay" and move on with a different subject.

HTH somehow.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Cups with straws are great. My LO wouldn't take a sippy cup either at that age (only startig to be open to them now at 15 months). Gerber makes a nice two handled one. As for food, what types of foods have you tried? I know for my son, if I'm not eating or if I'm not eating the same thing as him he is not as inclined to eat. If he thinks he is sharing a meal with me (or that he is stealing my food ) he is more inclined to eat.

ok straws, he doesn't get lol he just likes playing with them hehe

far as food I offer pretty much whatever I eat, the things he will DEFINITELY take whether I am eating them or not are: cheese, bread, popcorn (NOT whole, I nibble off any parts with kernel and only give him a tiny piece of the softer part), and baby goldfish crackers LOL and noodles at times... I just worry he's not getting enough for MONTHS now his weight has remained in the 19lb range and just recently he's gone over 20 and keeps fluctuating between the 19(upper)-20(lower) lb range shouldn't he gain more than that or is it ok/normal for a baby's weight to remain the same for a long time? Far as my milk if I feel it may be getting low or just because I do take fenugreek and boy it's a good supply LOL basically what I'm saying is I'm in no rush to wean, but I want to make sure my baby is getting enough kwim?
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC