Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why pump ?

Default Re: Why pump ?

Hi Erin,

Thank you for your message. I will keep a pump handy for just in case. Another question just popped into my head while I was reading your post. Do you prefer latex or silicone nipples?

Dora

Hi Home Executive,

Your recommendations were very helpful. Thanks for the info.

Dora

Hello again--we have only ever used silicone. We started out with the avent slow (stage 1) nipples but dd started disliking those around 2.5 months and we had to switch. I had a couple other bottles around the houseand we tried those and found the playtex nurser slow flow nipples to be the best--they are really soft and shaped alot like my nipple. She went right to those when no other nipple would work. She goes back and forth very easily now. She always seemed to latch strange after a couple of the avent nipples in a row, but we don't have the same problem with the playtex. I will say though that the avent seems to flow slower than the playtex, so when we first started it was good b/c the bottle wasn't a lot easier than the breast.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

lll leaders are moms that have nursed babies. And have some training on breastfeeding and mothering.
    There are groups that meet all over the world. the leader talks about a subjet, and the moms in the group share what they have learned, a support group
    heres a link to look up a group in your area

http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

Leaders can answer questions about nursing and the best thing its free
    you'll met other moms with babies that are about the same ages as yours and mothers with older kids that have been there and done that.
    good place to make friends, and get your ?'s answered.
    good luck!

I am one of those few who experienced problems by introducing the bottle too early. We gave a bottle or two a week (not per day, just about one a week!) from day 1 and around 8 weeks, we realized DS liked bottles more than me. It was a HORRIBLE experience, and if I had to do it again, I would NOT introduce a bottle before the recommended timeframe, at ANY COST. I wouldn't care if I was strapped to the baby 24/7 for a year, I don't want to go through what I just went through ever again. It was SO STRESSFUL. DON'T DO IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO!!!

That's my two cents . . . . .

I agree with leecee 100%. It is a horrible thing to go through. And, it is so hard hearing your baby cry because they want the bottle and you want to breastfeed. You almost feel like a bad mother for pushing the breast. In any case, nipple confusion is real for a lot of babies, and it is so hard to correct.