Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why pump ?

Question Why pump ?

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dora and I am 30 weeks pregnant. My question is what all is the breast pump good for ? Can I strictly pump and use frozen breast milk? I want to allow my fiance to feed the baby. Also; Can introducing a bottle while breastfeeding cause any confusion for the baby? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

Dora

Default Re: Why pump ?

Quote Originally Posted by New Mommy
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Dora and I am 30 weeks pregnant. My question is what all is the breast pump good for ? Can I strictly pump and use frozen breast milk? I want to allow my fiance to feed the baby. Also; Can introducing a bottle while breastfeeding cause any confusion for the baby? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

Dora
    You can use a breast pump for what you described above... so that someone else can give your baby an occasional bottle while you are away. I have heard of people that exclusively pump ad give their baby only bottles but this just doesn't make sense to me personally... it seems like twice as much work. And fresh milk is always preferable to frozen. Introducing a bottle too early can cause confusion for the baby but if you wait until after you've been breastfeeding for about a month and everything is going well then you shouldn't have problems with this. I work full time so I pump three times a day so my daughter can have bottles of milk while I'm away at work.

there are so many more thing that a babies father can do besides give a bottle. He can cook clean and just take care of mom while she takes care of baby. He can give a bath change diapars.
    He can just support mom in what ever she needs, hold the baby while mom takes a shower or gets some work done.
    The womanly art of breastfeeding book has a good section about the manly art of fathering, and also has good infomation on pumping and interducing the bottle.
    I agree don't do it too early and too often in the 1st few weeks.
    some moms don't have much luck with pumping. Since your still pg you might want to check out a lll group meeting in your area. I always learn something new when I go. And you'll meet other moms with babys that are close to the age of your baby. Thats wonderfull when you have ?'s or are having a rough time and need somebody to talk to.
    Line up some phone numbers of help so that if you do have trouble you know who to call.

Because of latching issues and bad advice from a lactation consultant, I had to pump exclusively for a couple of months. It was the worst couple months of my life. I was barely making enough milk, so I was pumping every 1-2 hours around the clock. The pump was not emptying me enough, so I had chronic bouts of mastitis. Because my DD developed nipple confusion because of early introduction to the bottle, she forgot how to breastfeed. I would not recomment pumping exclusively to anyone unless it as the only way they could give their babies breastmilk.

Your fiance can help in other ways.

I work full time too and I pump 2-3 times a day. I am able to go home at lunch to bf baby somedays. I also sometimes have my husband get up once in the night and feed dd. When I first went back to work, it was really hard and dd was getting up 4-6 times a night, so he got up once with her and fed and I pumped on one side and fed on the other at the next feeding, to make up for it, making sure to empty both breasts. That was one of the things that dh really wanted to do and didn't want to miss out on so he is content with a couple feedings per day (he was at home with her for part of the day, until the sitter came).

Pumping is really good in beginning, when you are engorged too. I would def. recommend having something handy to relieve the pressure and soften the nipple. My dd couldn't latch at all when I was engorged, without my first pumping to soften. I just froze that milk to save for later.

We didn't give a bottle til she was 5 weeks, and we started her out really slow. I never gave her a bottle, cuz I didn't want her to be confused, so dh would give her one bottle every other day, and I would pump to maintain my supply. After a couple weeks of that, we started her on one bottle every day and after a week of that we went to two. It seemed to work out fine!

I have a friend that pumps exclusively (don't ask me why--she just hated nursing) and she is exhausted!!! She also works full time, and trust me, its way easier to wake up in the night and only have to feed (she has to warm a bottle, feed and pump her dd).

Anyway...hope that helps.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Welcome, Dora! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Pumping is rarely used for engorgement. The reason being that the vacuum can actually draw MORE fluid into the region. If you do use a pump for engorgement, consider using the lowest vacuum setting. I saw a new bit of information on this. Let me see if I can find it for you... Here you go!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html I hope you do NOT experience engorgement. I believe the page gives tips for avoiding it, as well.

You asked:
    My question is what all is the breast pump good for ?
    Expressing milk, of course! It has other uses, too, like getting the milk flow started for a baby who is reluctant to nurse or elongating the nipple before latching baby on if mom has flat nipples.

Can I strictly pump and use frozen breast milk? I want to allow my fiance to feed the baby.
    You can exclusively pump, but I don't recommend it unless it's absolutely neccessary. It's SO much more trouble than simply putting baby to the breast! Sure, you can pump so your fiance can feed the baby, too, but I would urge you to first look for other ways that your fiance can help. Many fathers love to be assigned a specific job. Maybe his could be bathing the baby? It could be his "special bonding time" like breastfeeding is yours. Just a thought.

Also; Can introducing a bottle while breastfeeding cause any confusion for the baby?
    It can. It's best to avoid artificial nipples of any kind during the first few weeks while your milk production level is being established, and you and your baby are learning. After that time, you could introduce a bottle. I would suggest looking for a nipple with a wide base (more like nursing). Allow the baby to take the nipple into his mouth himself (don't shove it in), by illiciting the rooting reflex so he will open wide and latch on to the bottle like the breast. Offer breaks while feeding a bottle so it will be more like nursing. You can find more tips here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Good luck!

[QUOTE=home executive]
    Pumping is rarely used for engorgement. The reason being that the vacuum can actually draw MORE fluid into the region. If you do use a pump for engorgement, consider using the lowest vacuum setting. I saw a new bit of information on this. Let me see if I can find it for you... Here you go!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html I hope you do NOT experience engorgement. I believe the page gives tips for avoiding it, as well.

Like I said...I had to use the pump to relieve engorgement and I tried everything you will find on that website. And most of the people I know that bfed were engorged as well. I don't think I could have forced my dd to eat much more than she did, and I ended up with mastitis. Thanks God for my pump!!! I had help from a LC in the beginning and that is what she recommended as well. I never expressed very much--just enough to relieve the pressure and soften my nipple. And my supply is normal (low if anything) now and I only experienced engorgement fully for the first week or less. Although the information on that site is extremely useful, it didn't work for me.

I hope you don't have to experience engorgement!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Yes. I think you are right . Thanks for the advice Sarah's Mom.

Dora

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the name of the book. I think I will try it out. There is just one question though. What is a lll group meeting? I hope to hear from you soon.

Dora

HI jmjmom,

Wow. That sounds terrible. The ladies on this forum are very helpful. I am reading about things that I would have never cosidered if I hadn't joined. Thanks a buch for your recomendations.

Dora