Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I drop a nursing session now?

Default Can I drop a nursing session now?

My LO is 6.5 months and eating 1-2 meals a day (usually oatmeal with EMB, and some cooked carrot or pear sticks). Was wondering whether I can drop a nursing session after the oatmeal since it's so filling and is given to him with EMB. Would be nice to get a 4 hour chunk during the day to get stuff done rather than feeding him every 2 hours. I am thinking about getting a babysitter for 4 hours a week so that I can do laundry and other chores without having to stop and nurse (not that it's a huge burden, I do love my nursing sessions )

Also, DS used to feed 7-8 times a day, but now he has increased it to 15-20 times a day (thanks to the once every 45 minute night feedings he's just started on). He's not gaining any weight though....has been at the same weight for a month now. He is definitely more active though, and is crawling backwards now.

Default Re: Can I drop a nursing session now?

You may want to try to push him to every 3-4 hours. We started at every 2 and gradually moved up to 3 (still trying for 4 ) with 1-2 night wakings. At about 6 mo my twins hit a growth spurt where they started eating every 2-3 hours around the clock. The dr. said it was also that they were buring more calories and to up the amount of solids they were getting in addition to nursing every 3 hours. We are now doing 4-6 tbl of Oatmeal, 4-6 tbl of fruit, and 4-6 tbl of veg a day (for each child). My only suggestion if you increase the amount you are feeding your lo is to do it gradually so they don't become constipated or loose :S.

Good Luck

Nancy
    Mom to Elijsh & Audrey

Default Re: Can I drop a nursing session now?

thx for the great advice! Might start trying for 3 hours now...that would be lovely!