Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overweight baby

Default overweight baby

My baby is 10 1/2 months old and I am only breastfeeding her. I have solely breastfed her up to this point in her life. I have an overactive letdown and feed her only one side at a time. I don't know how much she weighs but she looks overweight. How often should I breastfeed her and what should I do? Initially I may have overfed her because I was concerned she wasn't being fed enough from one breast but now I only feed her when she's hungry. What should I do?

Default Re: overweight baby

I wouldn't become to worried...breastfed babies look chubby! It is all that good fat from your milk! I would be worried if she looked skinny! My son is not quite 7 months old...you should see him. Almost 20 lbs and 28 inches...he has many many many rolls!

You will miss those rolls soon! When she becomes mobile (crawling, walking, running) she will lose it! My 1st son didn't gain any weight between 1 year and 18 months. I know that as a baby I was pretty roley poley and between my 9 month visit and my 1 year visit I actually lost weight.

I wouldn't worry about over feeding her, I think breast fed babies are pretty much impossible to overfeed. Unless there is some sort of metabolic disorder (which you would already know about) she will be fine. If you feed her healthy when introducing solids there is nothing to worry about. Chubby breastfed babies are healthy.

I will say, and I hope not to offend, why are you concerned about a 10 1/2 month old being overweight? A lot of kids also have a 'budda' belly, some well into their 2nd or 3rd year. Instilling healthy eating habits at a young age is a lot more important that worrying about them being overweight. I hope you understand what I am saying!

Sarah

LOL, I agree 100% with MM. DS is 7 months, 18.9 lbs t his 6 month visit and 27 1/4 inches long. He has so many rolls that it is hard to clean them all at bathtime and I LOVE it. Very healthy, no need to be concerned. DD was a very big baby, 9 lbs 1 oz at birth and continued to be a big baby until she was walking. Since then she has been nothing but muscle, the child has had biceps that I am jealous of since she was about 2!!! Promise, there is no need to worry, love those rolls while you can.

I totally agree with the last posts. My second daughter was CHUBBY!!! I would open her diaper to clean the mess inside and it was like "where do I wipe first!" there were sooo many rolls all covered up in her diaper! They definitely lose the weight once they are mobile, and both of my older girls (6 and 4) really thinned out once they hit age 2...they totally lost that baby look, and I miss it!! Hope this helps!