Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: inducing milk production

Question inducing milk production

Well ok I'm new here so here it goes, my son is 6 months old I stoped producing milk when he was 2 months old, and have been severly depressed about it since. I want to re-start my milk flow, but I know he could never take back to the breast, I've tried and tried with no results. But I would like to know if theres some medication that could make me start producing again so I could pump for my son. I want to give him everything that I possibly can. I dont mind giving him a bottle its just whats in the bottle that matters. I tried pumping before but I had a cheap one and if all goes as planned I will get a medla electric. I just want to know if there is a medication that is avaliable to re-start milk production
    thank you all

Default Re: inducing milk production

Hello there,
    I commend you on wanting to get back your milk supply for your baby.

You should be able to find the answers to many of your questions here:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/relactation.html

It would be very important for you to have a hospital-grade, rental pump to use. Would it be possible for you to rent a pump during this time?

Please understand that no medication is going to work without stimulating the breast (pumping or BF). If you are pumping 8-12 times/24 hours than there are some things listed in the above link. I would suggest you speak with your doctor about it further.

Also, it might be helpful to work one-on-one with an IBCLC or LLL if possible. Please let us know if you need help finding one or if you have any other questions. And good luck!

Default Re: inducing milk production

I think your thinking of Domperidone. That's generally the medication used that has lactation as a side effect.
    Warning though - lots of moms are not able to stop taking Dom. without loosing their supply their entire nursing time. And you can only get it with a prescription here in the states or order it from overseas.. Google search and you'll find more about it.
    ~Shannon