Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where to post

Default Where to post

Hi! I am new to this site and have a rather unique situation. Due to breast cancer, I had to use a surrogate to carry our baby. She is not going to pump for us, so I was wondering if anyone might know any resources for finding breast milk. I really want to give our baby a great start in life!

Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Where to post

I'm so sorry to hear about your breast cancer, but happy to hear that you are doing well.

Check with the hospital that your baby is going to be born in. I was surprised when I signed onto the hospital's website that my son was born in and my daughter will be born in in July, to find out that they now have a "breast milk bank". The purpose for the one at my hospital is to allow mothers to donate breast milk for sick babies and a pediatrician's rx is required to get it--but maybe there is resource similar to this that you can take advantage of in your area!!

Congratulations on your impending motherhood! What a miraculous and exciting time!

Donor milk from a milk bank is probably your safest bet. I would call around to local IBCLCs for information about how to obtain and pay for it. Hopefully your health insurance plan will cover it, as I hear it is very expensive. I'm not sure if donor milk is available long-term for a healthy infant, however.

Some women in similar situations set up an informal relationship with a lactating woman, a sort of wet nurse via express-shipping arrangement. LLL's official position is that these kinds of arrangements are risky and ill-advised. In most cultures, however, some form of wet-nursing is or used to be practiced (how else could a baby survive when its mother couldn't nurse it?), so I think you just need to educate yourself and weigh the risks and benefits.

Here's a mainstream news article about this practice:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/paren...ilk/index.html

--Rebecca

Congrats on your new arrival!

Here is some information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilkdonation.html

You might be able to get a prescription for breastmilk from a milk bank. It never hurts to ask your doctor! Many milk banks will give milk, regardless of the parent's ability to pay.

Have you discussed the possiblity of your surrogate expressing just the colostrum? I know it's a very personal choice, and I'm not sure if your surrogate would consider it, but it's certainly worth asking. Remember that hand expression often works best for expressing colostrum, and it is only measurable in teaspoons, not ounces.

If you should decide to use other means of obtaining human milk, it is imperitive that you seek the guidance of a knowledgeable physician. It is NOT suggested to accept milk without first screening donors with a full medical and personal history (in other words, don't look for random mothers w/out further information/testing ). Your doctor would also be able to suggest to you which tests are important to run on each donor.

You might find this website helpful:
    http://www.feedmybaby.com/

There are also lots of informational sites like this:
    http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/

I agree with the above poster. If you choose to use donor milk that is not from a milk bank, it's important that you have the guidance of someone who can take you through the process of screening donors, and handling donor milk. The first link I gave you explains what this particular mother did. Her doctor screened the donors, and she used a home pasteurizing machine to pasteurize the milk.

Good luck to you! Many congrats on your newest addition.

Smile Re: Where to post

My deepest gratitude goes to all of you very kind individuals who answered my breast feeding questions. What a wonderful comminity you have. Your kind words, great information and links will be heeded and followed closely. I absolutely will ask the baby's new doctor about screening a donor if one should become available! Someone wrote that stimulating breast milk does not increase estrogen levels, so after the first couple weeks of colostrum from a birth mother, I might even be able to nurse with the one breast that I still have. Sounds so strange to me, but would mean the world, since I did not have the experience of being able to carry our beautiful little girl "to be".

May each of you be richly blessed! Every day of life on this earth is a celebration!

Thanks!

Lisa (Decem1232003@Yahoo.com)

I'm glad you found the information helpful.

If you should choose to breastfeed your dd yourself, you should know that it is absolutely possible to bring in a milk supply and it's also possible to feed your baby from one breast! You may wish to take a peek around the relactation and induced lactation forum.

Jolie,

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will look at the other boards to learn about the options! Thanks for your work in sharing your knowledge on this board!

Lisa

Just checked out the "Feed My Baby" site. What a great thing she has done for her baby! Good info on options for breast feeding after cancer too!

Can't nurse. DUH! I sometimes think that my brain is half aware and half on auto pilot! I can't attempt to lactate and nurse with my 1 real breast because of the Tomoxifin that I must take! That was the reason for not being able to carry the pregnancy. The baby can't drink Tomoxifin!

Still looking for donor milk, but will check the online resourses that you guys so kindly gave me links for!

Thanks again!

Lisa