Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4mo old too young?

Default 4mo old too young?

With my boys i started cereal at 4 mo old. My 1st one i bf till he was 2 1/2 mo, my second one i didnt cause he was born with bilateral cleft lip and palate, my daughter is 4 1/2 mo old and still bf. I have been giving her cereal for a few weeks now, rice cereal at dinner time mixed with 1/2 jar stage 1 baby food. i havent bf this long before. She loves to eat food, is she too young?

Default Re: 4mo old too young?

I thought you could give cereal at 4 months, although 6 months is better. As for veggies and fruit, you are also supposed to wait until 6 months. At least that was my understanding. I don't claim to be an expert.
    I started my LO on cereal at 5 months, but she didn't really get the hang of it until 6 months.

People and drs are all over the board on this topic. The last pedi said 3 months no solids jar foods till 6 months. This baby and this pedi said 2 table spoons of cereal and 2 table spoons of jar food at 4 months. Altough she did say no rush on the solids baby is doing well on the BF. I think it all depends on at works for you.

Our ped said absolutely nothing other than bm for 6 months. So we followed that. She seems content, so we're happy with the decision.

My pedi told me I could start whenever I desired after 4months. We started cereal and veggies and ds did great. He has always loved them and tolerated them well.
    Personal opinion 4-6 months is okay. Many people opinion 6months exclusively breastfed is best.
    Just like with a lot of decisions regarding our children. We have to make the best decisions as we see fit.
    Breastfed for 20months