Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EM bottles

Default Re: EM bottles

After the first four weeks, I started pumping because I was told by a lactation consultant to give my LO a bottle once a night. I did this, my son had no problem with taking a bottle. BUT I think that pumping caused an oversupply of milk. Many people told me to just bring baby to breast and not worry about pumping so early. I really wanted to have a supply of milk just in case I needed to go out. WELL, I have too much milk, and my LO would choke, gag, we had to work on this! Many of my friends who have babies wanted to breast feed but thought they would have success just by pumping. Needless to say, they stopped BF by 2 months. It is very important to continue to bring baby to the breast, this will stimulate and increase milk supply. The pump can not replace or replicate the stimulation from your child's mouth.
    My LO is 4 1/2 months and my milk supply is pretty normal now. I pumped the other day, first time in 2 months! I bring my LO with me every where and BF him everywhere! BTW, I hate cleaning bottles, pump etc.. so much work when all I have to do is unstrap my bra. BF is soooo much easier.
    I am going back to work in 2 weeks so I will need to start pumping soon. However, I am not too worried because I will pump at work and my LO will still be fed from the breast most of the time.
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Hi,
    i introduced bottles with EBM. There was no nipple confusion but the baby was lazy when i was putting her on my breast. After 5 months she was able to be fed exclusively by the breast. No she amazes me when she eats within 15 minutes. before she was on my breast for an hour and then she needed a bottle with EBM. Now i feel i have so much time, cause i don't srerilize bottles, pumps etc

I agree! My LO will feed at my breast for 5-10 minutes and he is done! It's amazing how proficient he had become at BF..

Athena, where are you located in Greece? Santorini Island is my favorite place in the whole, wide world. I have been to Greece 5 times! I just love it!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

With my daughter I only gave her a bottle of EBM when I needed to get out of the house for a bit and those times it was rare. Even when my husband and I went to the store, we usually timed it right so she could eat right before we left and right when we came back. We do the same for DS. Of course I still pump when needed (in the middle of the night if DS doesn't wake up or sometimes on the way home from church if he slept through the service which is rare ) I'm going back to work this fall , so I'll be pumping at work. I'm not really looking forward to it since I'm at a different school from when I had my daughter. I had my own bathroom in the classroom so the setup was perfect. I've got to get something worked out this time.

If you do decide to pump and use EBM, don't worry if you have to try different bottles to find the right one for your lo. My DD took two kinds and then only one. Sometimes they can be very picky. I would also wait until you had to do it. Why go through all the hassle if you don't have to.

I agree... my son likes dr. brown and second nature bottles

I am returning to work in 6 months. I rarely leave to go out without my LO. So should I only pump the day I plan on leaving? Also my Ped told me to start giving her vitamins called Poly-si-val. Have any of you ever heard of this? I thought that babies get all the vitamins they need in BM. I am taking a prenatal vitamin with DHA while I BF too. She told me to put the liquid vitamin in the EBM b/c they are bad tasting. Which is another reason why I feel like I need to follow her advice on giving her a bottle everyday. Thank you all for all your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmina32 View Post
    After the first four weeks, I started pumping because I was told by a lactation consultant to give my LO a bottle once a night. I did this, my son had no problem with taking a bottle. BUT I think that pumping caused an oversupply of milk. I really wanted to have a supply of milk just in case I needed to go out. WELL, I have too much milk, and my LO would choke, gag, we had to work on this! .
    I am experiencing the same problem. I only pump one breast once a day and by breasts are more full now than ever.
    What did you do to resolve this. Once I started pumpimg I am noticing my DO chocks and coughs and comes off the breast now too. Any advice is much appreciated.

Breastmilk does not have Vit D in it, so unless you're careful about getting you lo the right amount of sun exposure you need to give that to them. Mine hate PolyViSol, and it made them smell like plant food, so we use the Gerber vitamins. Even with that I have to mix it with 1/2oz of EBM in a bottle to get them to take it.

What's worked for me with oversupply is pumping till the letdown when I'm too full for my los to latch, then nursing right away, this doesn't seem to up my milk supply. Pumping after nursing does seem to, I try to pump immediately after they eat so my body doesn't think it's another feeding. Are you pumping both breasts when you pump after feeding? If so it might be better to pump just one, I pump both to keep up with twins! Feeding your LO off of one breast or block feeding might help too.

We bought the Second Nature bottles but they're too hard for my los to drink out of, apparantly my milk flows much faster. Since they were using soothie pacifiers we just went with soothie bottles too, we've never had trouble with them. Pretty much any bottle with a slow-flow nipple that your baby will take will be fine, they only start to prefer the bottle if it's easier to get milk out of it. Mine slack off on their last feeding at daycare half the time so they can nurse more, I laugh at myself for ever worrying about nipple confusion. My LC had us just check and make sure they would take a bottle at 4 wks for when I went back to work at 6wks, she said you don't have to give them a bottle that often, just once a week or so. The reason your ped suggested is because past 6wks babies aren't always open to bottle feeding, so if you ever need to give them a bottle b/c you're away or are taking some medication etc that they can't have, they may just strike till they can nurse again.

Wow Twins how awesome. I can't imagine. Thank you for all your help. Mixing LO vitamin with a little breast milk is a great idea. I have only been pumping one breast at time because that is all I usually fed LO at one time. I will try pumping after I BF that might help. I can't believe how many questions I have. This is all so crazy. Thanks for your help.

Breastmilk does not have Vit D in it, so unless you're careful about getting you lo the right amount of sun exposure you need to give that to them.
    Actually breasmilk does have SOME vitamin D, usually for about the first 6 months of breastfeeding. LLL says that as long as a breastfeeding mother is eating a balanced diet, there shouldn't be a need for vitamin supplements. Here are some articles about vitamin supplements and vitamin D:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/vitamin.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug04p124.html

Mixing LO vitamin with a little breast milk is a great idea.
    I would suggest you run this idea past your physician or lactation consultant before doing this. It may cause certain substances in your breastmilk to work differently or not as effectively.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!