Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EM bottles

Post EM bottles

I went to the pediatrician today for our my LO 1 month checkup and she recommended that I start pumping and bottlefeeding EM once a day or atleast everyother day. I was wondering since I will be BF all the other time what bottles work best for BF babies. I fear using a bottle will confuse my LO or that she will not be interested my nipples anymore. Any help on the subject is much appreciated.

Default Re: EM bottles

why did the ped recommend that? What is Em?

EM is Expressed Milk. The ped recommended it so if I wanted to go somewhere with out my LO I could. She said everyday or everyother day b/c my LO would forget about how to take a bottle if I only gave her a bottle when I needed to go somewhere.

well thats up to you....
    my last 3 babies never used bottles on a regular basis. I didn't even have any in the house with the last 2.
    IF your not planning to go back to work its up to you to pump or not.

I actually did this when my son was 5 weeks old. I pump while my husband feeds the baby a bottle (so as supply not to go down). I (actually he has an issue taking a bottle from me now, but has no issue taking it from someone else now) have only given him a couple of bottles as of yet. The first time I actually emptied both breast and when I tried giving it to him and he refused. I would then put him to breast to calm him down (using me as a pacifier but with very little milk coming out). Then after he calmed down I tried again and he took it. I put him to breast again after the bottle just so he didn't forget his latch. It took a little bit of work and a lot of patience, but now he takes it like a champ when I have to leave for an hour or so. Mind you, he has only had about 5 bottles yet (he's almost seven weeks old). I hope that helps. I read somewhere that the reason for having it introduced now is so that they can learn to take it without forgetting their natural latch. The reason that they say to do it everyday or every other day is because they don't want the baby to start refusing it later. Personally I only use a bottle when I need it or if it has been a couple of days Ill let my husband feed him the 1 am feeding so that I may get a little extra zzzz's...

IMO that's a lot of hassel for the time you MIGHT go somewhere w/o your lo. DS is 14 mo and has never had a bottle. He's been cup fed a few times, but usually when we left him (occassionally), I would just time it so he could still get his feedings. If it isn't really important to you I wouldn't worry about it.

My daughter didn't really have much of a problem with taking a bottle when she needed to, even though it was rare that she needed one.
    If you are going to be away for long periods from your LO then there would have to be some way to feed.

Do whatever it is you think you should do. One thing I've learned over the last 18 months (I'm a first time Mama) is to just follow your instincts. You know what you want to do, what your child needs and what you are capable of doing. My DD was EBF for 6 months and I nursed in cars and in eating establishments and just dared someone to say something to me about it. However, if you are returning to work at some point you will want to introduce your baby to the bottle at some point.

We worked really hard in the beginning to get DS to take a bottle. I wanted my freedom and didn't want to be stuck at home unable to go out on a date. Well...let me tell you what....

DH gave him a bottle every single night from 2 weeks on and no problem. Then one day he just stopped taking it. That's it, I'm not doing this anymore he said!!! He was about 6 months old. Then the other day we were at a friend's house and he grabbed the little girl's bottle and sucked down 8 ozs of formula. UGH. I was so indignant. I was like....I spent all that time pumping for you and working on a bottle to have you drink FORMULA....

All that to say....you may find that you work at getting them to take a bottle and then one day they refuse. Its not that uncommon.

I personally liked knowing that he could take a bottle if we wanted to go out on a date. By the time he was refusing it, he was old enough to eat solids and wait a little longer if need be.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Then one day he just stopped taking it. That's it, I'm not doing this anymore he said!!! He was about 6 months old.
    How weird my ds started his "bottle strike" yesterday. He was 6months on Monday.

We started bottles around 6 weeks. It probably took working with him for about another 4 before he really would take a bottle. I had to return to work and I worried a lot about him not eating well when I was away. We went through many different types of bottles and ended up with the avent. Those were the ones the daycare provider was able to get him to drink from. I tried so many different things. It was very frustrating at times. He never had nipple confusion though; he loves to breastfeed.

Hope that helps for a tidbit of info. Go with your instincts and whatever is best for your situation and your baby.
    Breastfed for 20months