Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain on one side only

Default Nipple pain on one side only

In addition to overactive let down and possible gas and oversupply issues we're dealing wtih... I'm having pain in my left nipple only. Its not cracked or bleeding, and looks only slightly red after a feeding. Its really not bad enough that I can't feed my son on that side, but certainly uncomfortable. Visually his latch is the same on both sides, but I have zero pain on the right. I spoke with my local LLL leader on the phone this afternoon and she wasn't quite sure what would be causing my pain. Any ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Nipple pain on one side only

could it be an early case of thrush? i have heard that can cause nipple pain. also, did you switch bras or anything like that recently? a few weeks ago i started out with a sore nipple (one side only) which progressed to very badly cracked on one side and sore on the other. Realised that my bra was too tight and as soon as i went back to my "old faithful" nursing bra and used Lansinoh pretty much all day long it really resolved itself quickly. either way it can't hurt to put some lansinoh on it.

I certainly hope its not thrush, but I have an appointment with my OBGYN on Friday and I'll ask. As for nursing bras... I have several different ones, none the same brand even, that I alternate between. I would doubt a tight bra is the issue, but more because the left side is not the side my son favors, he nurses for less time on it and there's less milk (i.e. slightly smaller breast). I've been putting on the lansinoh though- gotta love that stuff!

good that you are using the lansinoh that stuff saved me when i was really cracked. the bra thing is still only a theory, i am not completely sure WHY my nipple cracked so badly. ds is 7 months and we have had no prob with nursing prior to that. i looked for all of the other signs of thrush but didn't see any so i didn't worry about it too much.

oh, if it does turn out to be thrush, or just a nipple yeast problem not concerning baby, kerry's herbals has a whole thrush treatment program that is all natural. also her miracle salve plus is supposed to work on yeast issues. www.kerrysherbals.com

keep us posted.

Now I'm quite concerned that it may be thrush. I did some reading and my sudden onset of nipple pain and my son's fussiness, increased gassiness and spitting up make me very suspicious. Not sure what to do... I'm about to nurse and put him down for the night, hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

Don't worry too much. How was your night? If it is thrush, he may have some white patches develope in his mouth so keep an eye out for that. Either way I would check out that site because it is an all natural treatment for it as opposed to an expensive and long round of diflucan. We never had good luck with using Hypo-A Nystatin which is the other medication that doctors tend to use besides the diflucan. Thrush is pretty common, DD had it very badly when she was little but I didn't get it because I only bf her for 1 month (I was too young to know better).

The night went much better than expected. He had his first long, non-fussy feeding in over 36 hours (on the right side, of course). Still having the pain and will be on the lookout for any other thrush symptoms in both of us- but for the time being things seem to be looking up. Thanks for the support!

glad to hear it!

Default Re: was Nipple pain on one side only now:Thrush

her miracle salve plus is supposed to work on yeast issues. www.kerrysherbals.com

Thanks for that! I have ordered some. I have suffered on-going thrush of the breast and nipples with both babies for years. I know what cures it for me - completely eliminating sugar from my diet. But, I choose to live with the pain, because I'm a sugar addict. Sounds like I need a 12 step programme LOL! I do reduce sugar intake dramatically when the thrush gets too bad.

Can't wait to try the miracle salve!
    Beth
    Mum of 2
    U.K.

yup, sugar is yeasts main food and yeast overgrowth causes thrush. the primary source for yeast is in the colon/large intestine so unless you get rid of it completely it can cause troubles from time to time.