Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on increasing pumped amount??

Question Any tips on increasing pumped amount??

I only have time to pump 2x at work and I had been keeping up with my boy. He eats 3-3.5 oz 3x at day care. I only got 4 oz this morning and will pump again in2 hrs. (i do 1130 and 230) is there anyway to increase how much i pump at one time? I know women that can get 11 oz!!!!!!! I would just like to get 6 or 7.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Default Re: Any tips on increasing pumped amount??

I don't have any advice but I have the same question. Who are these women who can pump 6oz! I have only ever been able to pump 3-4 oz on a good day and after my DS BF's maybe 1/2-1oz. I have been told that is normal but I would love to pump more at one time and not be completely tied down to the pump.

I am one of those woman that gets between 7 and 11 oz per pumping session. Sorry!!! I pump twice a day in a 8 hour workday. I have always had a good supply and good output with the pump since I first started using it. The only advice I have is to use an electric double pump if you aren't already. I have the basic Medela Pump In Style. I always make sure to keep hydrated and eat nutriciously as well. I try and think about the baby while I pump or look at a picture. Also, make sure that all your pump parts are okay. There was 2 days where I wasn't getting much output and I then realized that one of the membranes were torn. Check to see that the breastshield is the proper size. I was using the standard 24 mm ones that came with the pump but was having some friction. I went one size up to 27mm and that was more comfortable and productive. Some moms have great success with Mother's Milk Tea while pumping. Good luck!

- May sure you drink lots of water throughout the day
    - I always found that the more the baby nurses, the more supply you will have.
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Thanks a bunch! One more ? How long do you pump for?
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I pump twice a day while at work for 15 mins each time. i double pump using and electric ameda pump and usually bring home about 7oz, from my 2 pumping sessions. I last feed baby at 8 then pump at 11 and 2 and am home to feed him again by 4. He usually takes about 6- 7 oz in the time I am gone but he finger feeds some solids too (and he has always been a cluster feeder in the eve anyway so I am home for that!)
    Sharon

I have nothing to say except that I'm jealous. I pump 3x to get enough for 1 7 oz bottle. I get 2 oz at 2 pumpings and 3 oz at another. This is pretty consistent. I think I just have a low storage capacity, though. The only times I've pumped more than 3 oz, I felt so engorged that I couldn't stand it.

I only pump once a day when my dh gives my son a bottle and I get less than 3 oz. I use the medela advance and I don't understand why I can't get more from a session, either. Also, how do you know if you are using the right size shield? I think I may need a smaller one.

I forgot one thing...I also noticed that when I pump, I only spray for about a minute. Anyone have the same problem or know how to fix it? Thanks.

Unhappy Re: Any tips on increasing pumped amount??

HI. I have the same problem. My baby is 8 month old, he started on solid foods at 5 because he was having lactose problems and the doctor made me stop nursing and give away all the milk I had storage (23 bottles of 4 to 6 oz each). Anyway, that last about 2 weeks when he drank formula, bananas, apple and rice cereal for babies.

After the Symptoms dissapear, the doctor told me I could breastfed again wich I did, mixing breastfeeding with formula. right know he nurse at 6:30 am, eats baby cereal (prepared with breast milk) at 9:00 am, at 11 he eats fruit, at 1:30 he eats solid food and I complete the lunch with breastmilk (usually nursing 10 minutes each breast). At 4:30 he drinks lactose free formula and a fruit, I breastfeed at 6:30 (about 10 minutes each breast) and he fall sleep, waking up 3 times or so in the night to nurse for about 5 or 10 minutes.

I pump and get only 6 oz a day wich I use to prepare de cereal, but I want to increase the milk supply to stop the formula. I feel really bad because I want to nurse at least to 1 year, but I running out of hope.

ANY TIP WILL HELP