Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adoptive breastfeeding

Default Adoptive breastfeeding

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and need a little help.

I am 29 years old and am unable to have children of my own. I had a complete hysterectomy a few years ago. My sister-in-law has lovingly agreed to surrogate for me with my own eggs.

I have been thinking long nad hard, and I know that I would really like to breastfeed my child. I didn't even know it was possible until a friend told me about a month ago. All of the articles I have found have mentioned adoptive mothers that used the SNS to nurse their babies. What I would like to know is wether or not it will be possible for me to breastfeed without the use of the SNS. How long before the baby is born should I begin to try to produce milk? Are their any supplements that can aid me in doing this?

I'm sorry for having so many questions. I am more than a little anxious to see if I can do this.

Thank you.

Default Re: Adoptive breastfeeding

Your best bet is to find your local LLL leader. http://www.lalecheleague.org/Webindex.html

I will try to do that soon, but things are really hectic at the moment. I am beginning a move from Europe back to the U.S. and am frazzled. Boxes everywhere waiting for movers, etc. It's more fun than I thought it would be................................... Ok...Not really.

I was really hoping for a little general information at this time. There are still a few months before we begin the surrogacy process, so I don't need to know this very minute. I am just anxious. *lol*

Check out the relactation and induced lactation forum here:
    http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50

There are some stickies at the top with some info.

And here's one from kellymom.com with TONS of links... didn't read any so I don't know if they're any good but kellymom has been a great resources for me in the past.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/rel...resources.html

Good luck! You can do it!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Hi there
    I'm going to move you to Induced Lactation so you can get the info you need!
    Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

goodluck to you! It really is possible. I remember another mother posting not long ago about doing this for an adopted child as well. I hope she replies to this!
    anyway it really is possible! and congrats to you, what a great SIL you have!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Thumbs up Re: Adoptive breastfeeding

Hi there!

Good for you! You are doing a great thing! I am in the process of inducing lactation but I have previously given birth. My DD is 6 months old and I just started a little over 2 weeks ago to induce lactation. I met with an LC, she prescribed Domperidone, 3 pills 3 times daily of fenugreek seed and blessed thistle and 8 times a day of pumping with the Medela Symphony pump. In just four days I started getting drops of milk, now about two weeks later I'm pumping 1/2 oz a day. I expect it to get higher the more I pump.

You can induce a milk supply through the pumping stimulation alone but I suggest that you follow the protocol for adoptive breastfeeding on www.asklenore.com or www.drjacknewman.com Also please seek out an LC in your area for support. I have found my LC to be an invaluable resource.

You can check out my story on another thread 6 month old - wanting to relactate first time mommy (or something like that!). I try to update daily. I am meeting with an LC this week to try and get DD back to breast with an SNS, having the SNS and her suckling there will help to further stimulate the nipples better than any pump can. I never BF my daughter so the fact that I'm getting 1/2 oz per day after two weeks should give you hope!

Good luck, I admire you!

Hi sarahboosmom,

I was curious if you could tell me more about inducing lactation through pumping stimulation alone? How many times a day would I need to pump in order to induce lactation? I would like to be able to do that since the fenugreek can get quite expensive and I have no access to the Dom and Reglan that everyone talks about for milk supply.

I am in the process of inducing lactation for my 30 month old toddler.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kristy
    Mom to Rebecca (12) and David (2)