Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Increase Question

Default Milk Increase Question

Hello,

I have not posted on here before but am happy to have found this place.

My daughter has had a very rough time of food allergies and when we tried elimination diet she still had blood in her stool. She was losing weight fast (as was I being on the strict diet) so my dr advised her to go solely on formula (Neocate) to get all the allergens out of her body. Since then I've been pumping twice a day.

Now she seems to be doing better. Her dr said we could try Alimentum to see if she would do okay with that. And she did. So he offered for me to try bf-ing her with me on a dairy-free diet. And no allergy!

So now my question is how can I increase my milk supply? She had been taking 8oz of formula every 3 hours and currently I know I cannot supply that much in one feeding. I can increase my pumping but am wanting to know other ways I can build up my milk supply again.

Thanks for any advice! I'm dying to get her back to exclusively breastfeeding!

Emily

Default Re: Milk Increase Question

Nipple stimulation is the #1 way to increase your milk supply. Milk is based on the laws of supply and demand, the more db nurses, the more milk you will produce. (Prolactin is a hormone which is released by your body when your nipple is stimulated which tells your body to produce milk). With your circumstances, I would think a lact-aid may prove be a very useful tool. DB would be able to nurse at your breast (thus stimulating milk production) so db would get what milk you were producing but would also be getting the formula you need to supplement with at the same time. You may even find that you can cut back the amount you have to supplement. If you are worried about not knowing how much baby is eating you can weight baby naked before & after feeding and then subtract before from after, thus getting amount consumed. I have never had to use a lact-aid myself but wish I had known about them when I had to start supplementing ds with formula. Since your baby is so sensitive to your food intake I would be cautious of herbal supplements such a fenugreek and mother's milk tea because they may cause more problems than they do good (I personally have tried both to increase milk supply and never saw any difference other than the way I smelled). Also, make sure you are drinking plently of fluid (but don't overdue it) and getting enough sleep (like that is possible with an infant around). Skin-to-skin contact can also help with milk supply, you may want to consider cosleeping if you don't already, babywearing or just simply replacing baby's pacifier with your breast, again goes back to nipple stimulation. Hopefully an LLLmoderator will chime in soon with advice, they are very helpful!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Hi Emily,
    Congratulations on getting your baby back to your breast!

Before we try to give you some suggestions, it would be helpful to have some more information.

How old is dd?
    What was her birth weight, lowest weight, and other weight checks, including now?
    What type of pump are you using? Is it new or used?
    How long has it been since you went from exclusively BF to pumping 2 times per day?

Of course, the number one way to increase milk supply is to remove milk from the breast by pumping/nursing. It is hard to say how long it will take you to get back a full supply of milk until I know how long your supply has been down (how long baby has not been nursing). If a baby is newborn and moms are establishing a new supply it is recommended that they pump 8-12 times/24 hours. If your supply is really low, then that may be the recommendation for you. But I can give you more info after I get your responses.

Rest assured that typically babies do not take the same amount of breastmilk during breastfeeding as they take in formula during bottlefeeding. So, I wouldn't worry that dd would need you to be producing 8 oz every 3 hours!

An SNS or Lact-Aid may be helpful in this situation as the PP said. Do you have an LLLL or LC that you have been working with at all? They would be able to give you more personalized help. But we can certainly answer your questions here as well!

If you want to get back to me with the answers to my questions I can give you more direct responses.

Take care,

Hi and thank you for your responses.

Kate to answer your questions:
    She is 5 months old
    Birth: 8#,8oz
    Lowest: 6#,9oz
    Current: 16#,10oz (she's getting big!)
    I'm renting a Medela Symphony but purchased my own tubing/parts/etc
    It's been about 3 months since I started pumping

That makes me feel better that she won't take as much bmilk as formula, phew...I've been having her at my breast almost constantly (I have her in a sling and me topless, quite a sight, lol) and also have been nursing her in the mornings and at night without having to add a bottle afterwards. It's during the day when she seems to still be hungry after I nurse her so I give her some formula in a bottle.

Thanks for any options! I'm wary of trying any herbs or herbal tea b/c of her allergies so I don't want to do that.

Emily

Hi Emily,
    Thanks for the responses!

If I understand correctly dd is now nursing, but you are supplementing after with formula. Is that correct?

You said she is at your breast all day long, and sometimes you don't feel the need to supplement after feeds. Are you concerned because she seems fussy after daytime feeds that you don't have enough milk? What type of signals does she give you to say she is still hungry?

How many times in 24 hours are you nursing her/pumping? Do you see her swallow when she nurses? Is there milk on her lips, corner of mouth? Do your breasts feel softer after she nurses?

What are her diaper outputs like now? If you were to cut back on supplementing with the formula and just keep putting her back to the breast your supply should continue to increase. It would be important to watch her output during this time. That way you would know that she was getting enough.

Remember, babies can fuss for so many reasons. It is always easy to blame our milk supplies, but there could be other reasons she still seems fussy during the day, if she seems satisfied morning and night.

If you are wary medications and supplements, the number one way to increase supply is to nurse, nurse, nurse!

I will wait for your reply!