Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething Question

Default Teething Question

DH and I are currently shocked to find DD may be already teething....she is only 9 1/2 weeks old. But the fact she is teething so early, even if the tooth hasn't cut quite yet, has sent me into a bit of a panic. We have been planning not to introduce anything beyond breast milk (or maybe water while we are at Disney World in June) until she was 6 months. But...

1. would this mean she can't have teething biscuits, even ones we make ourselves? how would that work her being so young?

2. How will this effect beginning weaning at 6 mos?

3. How might such early teething alter suggestions and guidelines from LLL?

thx

Katherine
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life

Default Re: Teething Question

Early teething doesn't alter the recommendations at all. Teething really has little to do with a baby's physical readiness for solids.

Babies can begin the early stages of teething around your dd's age, and not have a tooth erupt until several months down the line. I'm sure many mothers here can tell you that teething is often a long and drawn out process.

Default Re: Teething Question

oh this sounds so familliar. ds started showing signs of teething a little before 4 months and we still have none, he is now 7 months. however, dd cut her first two as soon as she turned 4 months. the teeth had nothing to do with how we fed though, just means that you may have to address the biting issue a little earlier than some. but i personally would still hold off on all foods at least until 6 months minimum. we started ds on the basics and he didn't tollerate them so we are back to exclusive bf. i don't plan on trying much again until he can eat table type foods (about 1 year).