Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help I can't get my supply back!

Default Help I can't get my supply back!

Hi,
    I have an 8 month old and recently I was sick and I had my husband feed him and I didn't nurse for a few days (I know stupid). I became really dehydrated and now that I am better I am trying to nurse again and I have nothing. I am having to feed him formula. For the last 2 days I've been pumping every 3 hours and trying to get him to latch. He will only stay on for a minute or so. I am getting a few drops out when i pump. I started taking Fenugreek 1.5 days ago.
    Is there anything else I can do. Me being stressed is not helping. My son is not getting anything from me.

I don't want to stop breastfeeding yet!!!

Default Re: Help I can't get my supply back!

stress is going to make it harder. I have heard that if a mother starts supplementing with formula, it is going to lower the breastmilk production. The more a mother nurses, or pumps, the more she will produce. Have you spoken with a doctor, or other professional? I had to use a nipple shield with my daughter because she wouldn't eat and I didn't want to use formula. I hope that you figure something out, and I would say to keep nursing as much as possible, even if baby doesn't want to eat for that long. I hope that it will works, Good luck!

We did it!! Just wanted to update my post. Thanks for listening everyone.

For those who might be going through a similar problem, here is what I did:

Pumped every 3 hours during the day with my Pump in Style, even though I was pumping dust - I still pumped.

I put my DS to my breast as often as I could even though he wasn't interested in sucking more than a few minutes b/c no milk was coming out. Nursing him in the bath and throughout the night helped b/c then he stimulated the nipple a little longer at these times.

I also took Fenugreek and drank Mother's Milk Tea.

It took about 5 days for me.

I wish everyone the best, I hope this might help someone else.

So glad things are going better for you!