Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible teething pain

Default Terrible teething pain

My 10 month son has been teething for a few months but the pain recently is really making him fussy 24/7. He is on Motrin 24/7. I was alternating it with tylenol but for the last few days I have only given him motrin. How long can he be on medication 24/7 without it being harmful to him? He has been medicated for over a month now almost continuosly. Sometimes I don't give it to him to see how things go and I always regret it because he doesn't nap without meds. He doesn't like oragel but I put it on his gums occasionally when things are real bad. I'm weary to try the herbal teething tablets because they are not regulated and have small amounts of belladonna in it which is a poison. Any advice anyone or are we just going to have to suffer through this? My son has dramatically reduced his nursing I think because of teething. He only nurses twice in the day (sometimes only once) and between one and six times in the night. Lately his nighttime nursings have been mostly him chewing on my nipple so he ends up continuosly waking up because he never consumed any milk--so frustrating! Please help, if you can. Thanks.

Default Re: Terrible teething pain

I would be much more hesitant to use motrin and tylenol that often than to use the teething tablets. I used them (Hylands teething tablets) with DD when she was a baby and am now using them with DS. Are you sure that it is just teething and not anything more like an ear infection? The symptoms can sometimes be the same, esp the decrease in nursing. Talk with your ped, but I would really recommend the tablets over the tylenol and motrin which can be hard on the liver since everything is pretty much processed there. The ped has to have better advice

He had an ear infection last month and finished his meds. He hasn't shown any definite signs that his ear is bothering him again. I wonder if I should take him in to make sure.
    Thanks

I would. DD has BAD recurring ear infections when she was an infant. Sometimes the antibiotics didn't work and she would get very low on fluids. Have him checked just to be sure. Teething shouldn't be that bad, at least from my experience (granted I know all kids are different).

Good luck

I just called the doctor and they took us in immediately. The doctor checked his ears and they are OK. He is just having bad teething pain. The doctor thinks he is probably weaning against all the literature that says babies don't wean so early--he is 10 months old and hasn't been interested in nursing since he was 7 months and has reduced his nursing gradually although had two nursing strikes which were sudden. I can't tell you how much I have been stressed about him not nursing enough.
    The doctor wasn't worried about him not nursing and not taking formula as long as he was getting nutrition from his solids and to give him some dairy--cheese and yogurt which have enzymes that help him digest it. The doctor told me giving him Motrin twice a day for a long period of time is not a problem.
    His advice has put me at ease but kind of goes against a lot of the advice I have been given in this forum. He also wasn't worried about soy formula--the only formula Glenn will tolerate the taste. I bought some one day gave it to him once and he actually drank it--unlike milk based formula I guess because it is sweeter--then I read about all the estrogen in it being like give a baby birth control pills so I threw out the rest and didn't give him anymore. I don't plan on giving him any more formula unless he completely quits nursing altogether.
    I just wish he wasn't in so much pain. He is cutting 4 teeth on top that I can see. He already has the two middle ones on the bottom. It is just so frustrating being fussy all day with the teething and waking up all night (every two hours, sometimes less) with him because he won't nurse in the day. Maybe I will try soy formula again during the day so I don't feel so compelled to get up with him so much at night. I'm going back to work in a few weeks and he will be in day care.

What do you all out there think I should do? I appreciate your comments.

Highland's have so little of belladonna in them, that they would be non-toxic even if your baby ingested the whole bottle. Homeopathy works on the premise that the energy of a substance can help heal our bodies. Therefore, a homeopathic medicine may only have one molecule of the substance it lists...it's not the actual substance, it's the energy of the substance that leads to healing. Sounds like quackery, I know. These articles might explain better:
    http://www.prevention.com/article/0,...6615-1,00.html
    http://www.worldwidehealthcenter.net/articles-284.html

According to the ingredient list:
    http://www.hylands.com/products/teething.php
    the teething tablets contain 0.0000003% Alkaloids (aka salts) of the belladonna. That is an incredibly minute amount. <shrug>

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. I'm just trying to show you that if you were considering trying the Hyland's, they're actually pretty harmless. Ooooh...I just found this. It will answer your questions!
    http://www.hylands.com/teething_faqs.htm

Other tips:
    Give him a frozen wash rag, bagel, or waffle to gnaw on.
    Make him a momcicle...a frozen breastmilk pop!

poor guy, four at a time is rough but i am glad that it is not an ear infection. those are so nasty. i would still at least try the hylands but like i said, i have used them with 2 kids now. as far as the formula thing goes i have mixed feelings. i do feel that breastmilk is best, but i also formula fed dd because i didn't know how to get help with bf when she was born and she is a great and healthy kid. good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

I swear my dd#1 was on tylenol for about 5 months straight - she's fine...lol

We used Hylands too - also Gripe Water helps with teething pain.

Jeff's Hope,
    Thanks that makes me feel better. We go through the bottles so quickly. I know I have spent more than 100$ on Motrin & Tylenol in the last few months. I try without it for a short while but he is just unbearable and I'm living on very little sleep-hour here and there so I give it to him. What is Gripe water, I guess I can look that up and where do you get it?
    Thanks again, Glennysmom

Has anyone used children's motrin for an infant and just adjust the dosage (say 2.5 ml to get 50 mg /normal dosage is 5 ml for 100 mg)? My son is 21 lb. I accidently picked up the wrong package the other day. Thanks