Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Bottle nipple type?

Default Re: Best Bottle nipple type?

There is a link someone posted on another theard about the best nipples for bf babies. Playtex natural latch was on there as a recommended one..Avent and Dr. brown wasn't... try to find it for you...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by babygurl View Post

I'm going to respectfully disagree with much of the info offered on this web page -- except for the latex avoidance related to allergy issue. The research cited is OLD. Feeding bottle nipples change over time. What may have been best 10-20 years ago may now be terrible -- none of those bottle nipples may be the same as at the time tested.

Also, there is no research that any particular supplementary feeding device results in better breastfeeding outcomes long term. There is NO research related to transitioning a baby receiving supplements via feeding-bottle-nipples to breast -- including what shape, size, material, etc. is associated with better breastfeeding outcomes. There is research that flow rate through a bottle nipple and the technique for bottle-feeding (or other feeding) can affect infant oral/mouth behaviors related to infant airway protection; these behaviors can be associated with breastfeeding.

Another LC colleague and I have been studying the research because we've wanted to see what method and then which feeding-bottle-nipples were less likely to interfere with a transition to breastfeeding. We found a way to test bottle nipples and did find a couple that currently seem more compatible with a baby's breastfeeding oral/mouth behaviors. (All of the feeding-bottle nipples we tested were labeled "newborn/stage 1/level 1" and "slow flow." We also tested a number of the disposable nipples the hospitals use. Most nipples are too fast flow but a couple are too slow -- need to "reward" without creating oral/in mouth "disorganization" related to tiring baby out.) We also encourage a technique that encourages a breastfeeding-type "latch on" and gives a baby more control of the fluid coming into the mouth.

If anyone is interested in our findings, contact me via personal email.

Any more thoughts on this issue? Particularly the slow flow nipple VS a preemie's energy levels?? I keep asking the nurses to use the slow flow - they keep using the faster ones. I want some more info before I waltz in there and become a nazi. He's going to be home next week - does it matter that much??

My baby is not a preemie, but he spent 3 weeks in the NICU. The nurses suggested the NUK made by Gerber. I would also go in for two feedings a day and try to BF him. When we got home, I tried several other nipples, but I kept coming back to the NUK...it just worked best for him. After 4 weeks home, he is exclusively BFing unless I am out and we use the nuk.

Every baby is different so it just depends on your LO.

I think it depends on what works for each baby. With my DD, I used Avent and had no problems whatsoever. With my DS, we used Avent and it seemed like he forgot how to BF. We just switched to Breastflow bottles by the First Years and he seems to really like them. Plus, he's latching on well again when BFing. They're unlike anything else!

We use the Avent nipples as well on weekends when I work. DD seems to only accept these.
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Default Re: Best Bottle (gasp) nipple type?

Quote Originally Posted by chipmonkey View Post
    we found the Playtex NaturalLatch nipple the best. I commented that when there were two on the draining board together they looked like a mini pair of breasts so couldn't be that far off!

That's so true.

After going through MANY nipples we found that the Playtex NatrualLatch worked the best for both of my LOs. The nipple itself is soft and gives in like a real breast does. One of my complaints about the Avent nipples were that they were to hard. DS would gag on them any time we tried to use them.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Default Re: Best Bottle (gasp) nipple type?

Quote Originally Posted by I♥myblueeyedbabes! View Post
    That's so true.

After going through MANY nipples we found that the Playtex NatrualLatch worked the best for both of my LOs. The nipple itself is soft and gives in like a real breast does. One of my complaints about the Avent nipples were that they were to hard. DS would gag on them any time we tried to use them.

There is no research re: effect of bottle nipple shape, size, texture, etc. especially as it relates to BF, although a type that collapses is probably counterproductive. There is quite a bit of research re: effect of flow rate on infant oral/mouth behaviors. BF is associated with very coordinated oral movements that not only transfer milk from the breast but also appear to contribute to better overall oral development.

NO bottle nipple flow rate or bottle-feeding technique can perfectly mimic the wonder of BF. But some definitely seem to interfere more than others, especially those that are too fast flow for particular babies. A LC colleague and I looked at the available scientific literature and then tested a lot of bottle nipples in a systematic way to come up with some evidence re: bottle nipples that appear to be more compatible with BF oral behaviors.

If anyone is interested in that info/data, please contact me via personal email.

Signs that any given bottle nipple is too fast flow for your infant include obvious ones, such as: gagging, choking, sputtering, coughing, etc. -- and the more subtle ones, such as: clenching/biting on the nipple or lots of drooling while feeding. I also find babies move the head from side to side or bring their hands up as if to push the bottle away or show tension in the face when flow is too much for them. Pay close attention to infant cues!

Feeding technique can also make a difference, e.g. a baby has more control and body mechanics help slow the flow when a baby is in a more vertical position. (None of us would like to be horizontal with fluid coming in -- we'd feel stressed and move our mouths in ways to protect our airway, which are counterproductive to BF oral behaviors, too!)

We use the Breast Flow Bottles and I LOVE them and Wyatt LOVES them. It has 2 nipples, one inside the other, so the LO has to compress it like it would the breast to get the milk. Have had GREAT success with this one! I tried the Playtex and they didnt work so well for us.